POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : PovRay for using in 3D-Printing Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  PovRay for using in 3D-Printing (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: H  Karsten
Subject: PovRay for using in 3D-Printing
Date: 21 Sep 2012 17:05:01
Message: <web.505cd5c38f01c98ca3bfeb720@news.povray.org>
As it cam be found in this post:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.4e98e599fbaf2a34a3bfeb720%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=377950
&toff=150&mtop=368500

There was already a patch before, able to save objects from PovRay as
geometry-files.

Here the link:
http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/patch/tessel/index.html

People, involved in 3D-Printing often times using a software, called OpenSCad
http://www.openscad.org/

Problem: Comparing the options of generating objects to PovRay, openscad is very
limited and it's slow. Advantage: it can export .stl files, used in 3D-Printer
slicing packages, like slic3r (slic3r.org) and many many others.

If PovRay would be able to export it's geometry as .stl files, using one of the
methods used like in the old patch (like "tessel" or "tesselate", using one
PovRay-unit as one millimetre), I'm very sure it will be used in wide areas of
3D-Printing.

It is just the way better tool for parameterised object-generation.

Holger

Post a reply to this message

> If PovRay would be able to export it's geometry as .stl files, using one of the
> methods used like in the old patch (like "tessel" or "tesselate", using one
> PovRay-unit as one millimetre), I'm very sure it will be used in wide areas of
> 3D-Printing.

It might be worth checking if the 3D printer can accept a series of
bitmap slices directly, this would be very easy to generate from POV and
probably more accurate.

Post a reply to this message