POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Suggest v4.0 updates to 'brick'. (yuqk R15 v0.6.9.0) Server Time
27 Jul 2024 14:40:08 EDT (-0400)
  Suggest v4.0 updates to 'brick'. (yuqk R15 v0.6.9.0) (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Suggest v4.0 updates to 'brick'. (yuqk R15 v0.6.9.0)
Date: 28 May 2024 04:51:40
Message: <66559b1c@news.povray.org>
In short, make the brick discrete value pattern easier to use.

Move the 'brick_size' and 'mortar' keywords to the generic 'ip_size' and
'ip_spacing' keywords respectively. The ip_size is now the actual 3D
brick size and not the brick+mortar size. The ip_spacing is now a 3D
vector indicating the brick to brick space (mortar thickness) in each of
the three directions.

The ip_spacing vector components can be zero - in which case the brick
effectively becomes infinite in that direction. This capability makes it
easier to apply and map the 'brick' pattern.

In other words, being able to zero the mortar between bricks in one
direction helps avoid the common issue of surfaces drifting into the
mortar regions of the pattern. See attached image with the traditional
'brick' pattern in the left column and the updated yuqk implementation
in the right column.

Lastly, an internal pattern offset using the mortar value was removed as
its aim now addressed by being able to zero spacing directions. This
change should make the pattern somewhat more intuitive to use as well.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'brick_01.pov.txt' (3 KB) Download 'brickv4story.png' (124 KB)

Preview of image 'brickv4story.png'
brickv4story.png