POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Testing povr / potential v4.0 functions and inbuilt mapping values. Server Time
16 Apr 2024 07:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Testing povr / potential v4.0 functions and inbuilt mapping values. (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Testing povr / potential v4.0 functions and inbuilt mapping values.
Date: 1 Mar 2023 01:38:56
Message: <63fef300@news.povray.org>
I'm attaching a test image of two inter-twined isosurfaces and the full
scene file for reference. One isosurface has 16 wires rotating about z
one way; the second has another 16 wires rotating the opposite way.

The newer povr functions are naturally able to calculate values suited
for isosurfaces by default, but where possible they also have a mode
which returns map values. The map values making it much easier to use
*_maps on the isosurfaces in a way which always tracks the isosurface
shape perturbations.

You can code up parallel map value calculations manually, but having
done it myself for many years - it's a real pain to keep straight.

In this test case I primarily wanted to try passing the map values up
from somewhere relatively low in the function call chain. The new
functions were coded with the intent this would work, but I'd not
actually tried a scene doing it. Looks OK to me.

Oh! FYI. On my old i3 the two isosurfaces render in about 35 seconds
with one light no AA and no radiosity. With AA and radiosity active and
set to be of relatively high quality, the render takes about 45 minutes.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rotstuffkeep.pov.txt' (7 KB) Download 'rotstuffkeep.png' (372 KB)

Preview of image 'rotstuffkeep.png'
rotstuffkeep.png