POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : HELP: INI Settings Wrong Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  HELP: INI Settings Wrong (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: HELP: INI Settings Wrong
Date: 2 Apr 2020 15:25:28
Message: <5e863c28$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I have a problem: I changed my harddrives and order of drive letters.
POV-Ray still starts, but it cannot find any INI files etc, as they are
not on C but on drive F.

I also cannot find any longer the POV-Ray master Ini file. In the past,
there was a button to load that INI file.

And I also searched the Windows registry for a place where I could
correct the path, but the only path I found was only for scene files
which I set to drive F.

How to make POV-Ray, when starting, searching for the files on drive F
instead of drive C?

http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

On 4/2/20 3:25 PM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem: I changed my harddrives and order of drive letters.
> POV-Ray still starts, but it cannot find any INI files etc, as they are
> not on C but on drive F.
>
> I also cannot find any longer the POV-Ray master Ini file. In the past,
> there was a button to load that INI file.
>
> And I also searched the Windows registry for a place where I could
> correct the path, but the only path I found was only for scene files
> which I set to drive F.
>
> How to make POV-Ray, when starting, searching for the files on drive F
> instead of drive C?

On windows unsure...

On unix based systems you can set an environment variable POVINI to
point to an ini file setting up pointers to whatever directories you
want. Unsure if the mechanism exists for windows POV-Ray installs?

On unix based systems it's also possible to symbolically link across
file systems. Possible to point from a "C drive" directory to the real
directory and files on the "F drive" by setting up a link.

I'd suppose similar mechanisms exist to do such things on windows
systems - but I again don't know. Sorry.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Hi Sven - I hope you are in better health, spirits, and things are looking up.

> > I have a problem: I changed my harddrives and order of drive letters.
> > POV-Ray still starts, but it cannot find any INI files etc, as they are
> > not on C but on drive F.

My naive untested solution would be to look at / solicit feedback about / check
the docs for - where the files normally get installed, and then just change
everything to F: where C: exists.

> > I also cannot find any longer the POV-Ray master Ini file. In the past,
> > there was a button to load that INI file.

(/media/oem/OS/ is the windows partition on my C drive)

executables are in: /media/oem/OS/Program Files/POV-Ray/v3.7/bin/
but I can't seem to find the directory with the ini files.
(This secret info ought to be written to a log and stored in a .txt file in the
user directory.)

> > And I also searched the Windows registry for a place where I could
> > correct the path, but the only path I found was only for scene files
> > which I set to drive F.
> >
> > How to make POV-Ray, when starting, searching for the files on drive F
> > instead of drive C?

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Windows_Section_3

I'd say for the present, just start searching the system for the filenames and
try to find out where they all are by brute force.

Bill Pokorny wrote:
> On unix based systems it's also possible to symbolically link across
> file systems. Possible to point from a "C drive" directory to the real
> directory and files on the "F drive" by setting up a link.

Can you provide a working example of how to do this with the Windows font
directory?  (use a dummy Linux directory as a surrogate)
I tried the symbolic link, but it doesn't really seem to work for me at present,
so it apparently still needs some small tweak.

Post a reply to this message