POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Intel embree Server Time
29 Mar 2024 00:46:59 EDT (-0400)
  Intel embree (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mr
Subject: Intel embree
Date: 8 Jan 2020 14:45:05
Message: <web.5e163056af813fc7b12f626e0@news.povray.org>
Has integration of intel's embree kernel into POV ever been considered? or even
maybe already done?
https://www.embree.org/renderer.html

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Intel embree
Date: 11 Jan 2020 03:57:04
Message: <5e198de0@news.povray.org>
Le 08/01/2020 à 20:41, Mr a écrit :
> Has integration of intel's embree kernel into POV ever been considered? or even
> maybe already done?
> https://www.embree.org/renderer.html

Still the same misinformation:
POV has far more than triangles to process.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 25 Mar 2020 18:05:01
Message: <web.5e7bd4abcc3071486adeaecb0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 08/01/2020 à 20:41, Mr a écrit :
> > Has integration of intel's embree kernel into POV ever been considered? or even
> > maybe already done?
> > https://www.embree.org/renderer.html
> >

> Still the same misinformation:
> POV has far more than triangles to process.

Thanks for reminding, though I do fight very often against this misconception
myself. (especially in Blender community)
But I had the naive and obviously wrong belief that such libraries could be
modularized and dedicated to the triangles tasks only regarding pov.

Great work on HG POV, thank you !

Post a reply to this message

>>> Has integration of intel's embree kernel into POV ever been considered? or even
>>> maybe already done?
>>> https://www.embree.org/renderer.html
>>>

>> Still the same misinformation:
>> POV has far more than triangles to process.
>
> Thanks for reminding, though I do fight very often against this misconception
> myself. (especially in Blender community)
> But I had the naive and obviously wrong belief that such libraries could be
> modularized and dedicated to the triangles tasks only regarding pov.
>
> Great work on HG POV, thank you !

I agree the up front presentation on embree is aimed at triangles and
working at floats not doubles. I think the initial aim of embree (and
there was a shipped ray tracing based on it too I think?) was to show
interactive rendering with knights landing processors and the like - but
those Intel hardware efforts are now dead as far as I know.

The part of this work catching my eye was the open source "Intel SPMD
Program Compiler" effort. Might it be a path to get more general GPU /
processor cluster support into POV-Ray? I don't know, not had the time
to really dig, but it looks interesting.

Aside: Some of the quick data visualization stuff done as part of the
embree work of value on it's own I expect too - though unsure how much
of this of use to POV-Ray itself.

Comes to having the time to digest what was done, how to use etc. Same
problem I have every time I look at any already built library for
anything.

Aside 2: The https://github.com/vectorclass libraries changed from a
paid license to an Apache 2.0 license late last year. We rolled our own
header vector class post v3.7 and unfortunately I think this a part of
why we have a somewhat substantial v3.7 to v3.8 slowdown for certain
scene types not represented well by our benchmark scene. I didn't play
with this last library last year due it's license, but I liked the
documentation and packaging of it. It's back on my to play with it
someday list given the license change...

Bill P.