POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : NVIDIA vulkan and POV-Ray : Re: NVIDIA vulkan and POV-Ray Server Time
26 Jul 2024 20:49:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NVIDIA vulkan and POV-Ray
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 5 Nov 2022 13:25:00
Message: <web.63669bf83a1373d11f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > I keep on watching the speed at which real time GPU ray tracing / light
> > transport technology advances.
> > It seems quite amazing.

> GPU render assume that everything will use the same code : The code for
> a mesh of polygons. That assumption comes from the obligation to use the
> same code for all cores.
> POV Ray use many primitives. All of the primitives need to use their own
> code. So, a GPU version of POV Ray could only deal with one primitive
> type at a time. Render all the spheres, then, render all the boxes, then
> the torus, then the cones and cylinders, then...

Well that, or code a fork that converts all the primitives into polygon meshes
before rendering.  Or just add in mesh alternatives for all of the primitives in
case someone wants to use them...  It probably can't be that hard to copy most
of the primitives into macro-driven mesh alternatives, especially since most of
them could just be rendered as parametric surfaces that are made with triangle{}
or mesh{} or mesh2{} objects, not the parametric{}.   Then you could just use
the same macro code and pass in the relevant equations for x, y, and z as
arguments.