POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #2 : Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #2 Server Time
27 Oct 2024 16:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #2
From: clipka
Date: 15 Dec 2015 10:10:00
Message: <web.56702cc6b3b14984ad6fa18f0@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

> >> Why not allow both styles? Is there any benefit to forcing one way or
> >> the other?
> >
> > Absolutely: Mandating that all properties be identified by name rather
> > than position makes it much easier to split the language definition into
> > a simple basic syntax on one hand and a data hierarchy model on the
> > other hand.
>
> Much easier for who? The users or the developers? Does the benefit for
> the users outweigh the inconveniences of having to look-up/remember and
> type out (or copy and paste) the parameter names every single time?

Let's put it this way: What good is a user-friendly syntax if no user ever gets
to use it, because its implementation is never finished?

Remember, your question was whether there is any benefit to forcing one way or
another; here is one. Development manpower is a limited resource, and while I do
want to take some time to design a reasonably usable language, I think the whole
matter of nameless properties is too controversial to make it onto the list of
mandatory features of the language.

Regardless of whether properties are identified by name or by position -- there
is always /something/ you will have to remember; and with that being the case,
I'd really love to avoid the added work attached.

Also, the simpler the language, the easier and faster the scene code may be
analyzed as the user is typing; I'd expect the language to be simple enough so
that the editor may assist the user on-the-fly in remembering the property names
by providing auto-completion.