POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : graph Position vs time Server Time
27 Apr 2024 09:43:13 EDT (-0400)
  graph Position vs time (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: graph Position vs time
Date: 13 Apr 2018 14:15:03
Message: <web.5ad0f2c4a2caf46dc437ac910@news.povray.org>
So, this is a physics / math / mechanical engineering question:

Suppose I have a mass attached to a compression spring.

I want to compare/contrast the effects of increasing the mass vs increasing the
strength of the spring on the motion of the mass as it is acted upon by a sudden
force pushing it against the spring.

Intuitively, there will be a greater "delay" in moving the heavier object
against a lighter spring vs the opposite arrangement, but I wanted to eventually
code it up into an animation.

I was wondering if anyone had a working knowledge of this, or a decent reference
that has reasonably clear equations & graphs.  I'm sure it's the simplest
equations of motion - I'm just trying to overcome the fatigue of RL and get the
ball rolling...

Thanks   :)

Post a reply to this message

Le 13/04/2018 à 20:11, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> So, this is a physics / math / mechanical engineering question:
>
> Suppose I have a mass attached to a compression spring.
>
> I want to compare/contrast the effects of increasing the mass vs increasing the
> strength of the spring on the motion of the mass as it is acted upon by a sudden
> force pushing it against the spring.
>
> Intuitively, there will be a greater "delay" in moving the heavier object
> against a lighter spring vs the opposite arrangement, but I wanted to eventually
> code it up into an animation.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had a working knowledge of this, or a decent reference
> that has reasonably clear equations & graphs.  I'm sure it's the simplest
> equations of motion - I'm just trying to overcome the fatigue of RL and get the
> ball rolling...
>
> Thanks   :)

The classical spring in physic follows a linear law.
For a Length L, made of R+/-l , the force is K*l toward the return to R.
With R the length at rest.
The force is applied as the acceleration of the mass, so first
integration gives you the speed, and second integration gives the position.

So it is not a delay, but rather the speed at which the masses move that
would be impacted by the value of K & M.

You can consider the evolution of the mass tied to the spring either on
a frictionless horizontal surface, or vertically by adding the
acceleration of gravity in the equation of the acceleration.  In the
second setting, the final position is when the spring is such that l*K = M.g

(remember, the full length of the spring is R+l or R-l according to the
position of the spring)

you could make an animation with 3 springs & masses, side by side:
1. K_1, M_1
2. K_2, M_1
3. K_2, M_2