POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Safer Computing Server Time
4 May 2024 23:34:13 EDT (-0400)
  Safer Computing (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Safer Computing
Date: 23 Dec 2017 15:00:01
Message: <web.5a3eb59a1b47a2b25cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
Sandbox malicious code:

https://simplyluculent.com/sandboxie-safer-computing-via-program-isolation/

https://www.sandboxie.com/DownloadSandboxie

Analyze suspicious files and URLs to detect types of malware including viruses,
worms, and trojans.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Safer Computing
Date: 24 Dec 2017 19:31:05
Message: <5a4046c9$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 14:59:22 -0500, Bald Eagle wrote:

> Sandbox malicious code:
>
> https://simplyluculent.com/sandboxie-safer-computing-via-program-
isolation/

> https://www.sandboxie.com/DownloadSandboxie
>

> Analyze suspicious files and URLs to detect types of malware including
> viruses,
> worms, and trojans.
>
> https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload

I like (and have used) the idea of sandboxing files to analyze them and
determine if they're safe - used to do virus "research" (I collected them
when I was in college because I saw weird behaviours on networks with
some of them - it turned out that trying to write to the boot sector of a
drive that didn't have one because it was an INT 2F redirection that
didn't present physical geometry caused some viruses to totally freak
out, but in very predictable ways).

But I'm not sure about uploading files to an online analyzer - depending
on the contents of the file, one might be disclosing confidential
information by doing so.

Jim