POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tron Legacy - Fridge Horror Server Time
12 May 2024 21:35:30 EDT (-0400)
  Tron Legacy - Fridge Horror (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Tron Legacy - Fridge Horror
Date: 20 Aug 2017 15:05:01
Message: <web.5999dabc4c57fa72fd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
Fridge Horror, for those of you who don't know, is when you get up from
watching/reading some work of fiction, open the door of the fridge, and realize
something horrific that was implied in context, but never directly stated.

I know that the director stated that time in the Grid moves 1000 times slower
than normal, but the movie itself contradicts this statement.

According to Flynn, when he meets Sam, the Gate stays open for 1 millicycle
(probably not physically possible, but hey, Hollywood Science), He then goes on
to say that this equates to about eight hours on the Grid.

Now, if the processor cycles at just 1 KHz, that means that time on the Grid is
compressed at a rate of 8M hours to 1 second, which means that Flynn has been in
the grid for 335.6 B years.  However, the movie takes place in 2010, and Flynn
has been missing for 12 years, which puts his arcade terminal at 1998 tech
level, assuming he had next-gen tech installed (owner of a massive corporation
dealing in technology).

We can, therefore, safely bet that his processor was 400000 times faster, which
means that, not only had he been in there for 23 times longer than the universe
has existed but, if my math is correct, longer than there will be burning stars.

Approximately 3.840E+13 Years.

I don't even want to think about what it would mean if he was running a cluster
of 400 Mhz processors. Not that it would make much difference at that point.

*Shiver*

A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message