POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit Server Time
16 Jun 2024 04:52:15 EDT (-0400)
  installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit
Date: 29 Mar 2017 16:58:47
Message: <58dc2007$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/03/2017 11:33 PM, Kenneth wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>

>> Well, you laugh, but certain versions of Windows *do* actually treat
>> programs with "special" names differently.
>>
>> [snip] ... If you rename the exact same program
>> to, say, BANANA.EXE, no privilege elevation prompt. It's a workaround to
>> try to make old software still work.
>>

> Wow, that's wierd. I probably wouldn't have believed that info either, ha! I
> never did try simply *renaming* Photoshop's installer stub to SETUP32.exe-- I
> thought it might cause grave havoc, or turn Photoshop into an old Atari game or
> something...
>
> Oh, the horror!

To be clear, it definitely won't turn a 32-bit application into a 64-bit
one. I was merely pointing out that renaming an executable *can* cause
Windows to treat it differently. (Basically by changing what backwards
compatibility fixes it applies.) All of this is moot for recent
applications, which contain an embedded manifest that *tells* Windows
exactly what the program wants...