POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Say goodbye to photographic and video evidence Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Say goodbye to photographic and video evidence (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Say goodbye to photographic and video evidence
Date: 22 Mar 2016 04:28:51
Message: <56f10243$1@news.povray.org>
> Actors get paid by the contract, not hourly.  so this argument is invalid.

The contract amount will just be based on the expected amount of work
(which surely includes some expectation of retakes). If the average
number of retakes is reduced due to such technology then you can imagine
the expected amount of work would be less at the star.

Anyway it's not just paying the actor, it's everything else. Paying all
the other staff, travel/accommodation, creating the set again, etc. If
there was the requirement/option to just modify the facial expression
and/or words in a pre-shot sequence, it's going to save a lot of money.

> Crispin Glover sued the makers of BTTF 2 for profiting from his likeness without
> compensation.

Presumably once such technology is established and working well, it will
be in the contract, that they are allowed to use it if necessary.

> I admit that the dubbing thing is an idea that I didn't consider, but I don't
> think that the benefits outweigh the risks.

The risks don't go away though if you don't use the technology. Someone
has invented it and made it public.