POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Technical Support Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:10:17 EDT (-0400)
  Technical Support (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Technical Support
Date: 15 Sep 2015 12:40:40
Message: <55f84a08$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 02:15:45 -0400, Mike Horvath wrote:

> On 9/11/2015 11:41 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 23:58:05 -0400, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>
>>> There should be a sticker on the laptop case with your product key.
>>> You should be able to use any Windows installation disk (for your
>>> version of Windows), and then just plug in your product key when
>>> you're done installing.
>>
>> That depends - sometimes the key only works with an OEM version of
>> Windows.  IIRC, there also are keys that only work with volume license
>> versions of Windows.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> There is no OEM "version" of Windows. There are OEM licenses and retail
> licenses, but the version of Windows remains the same, and installation
> media should not matter.

And yet, it does (or at least, it used to).

I personally ran into problems using retail keys with MS Select VLA
subscription media, and OEM licenses with boxed media.

It's possible that MS has changed this since I last tried it (it's been a
while), but this absolutely used to be the case.

Jim

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 12:40:40 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 02:15:45 -0400, Mike Horvath wrote:

>>> That depends - sometimes the key only works with an OEM version of
>>> Windows.  IIRC, there also are keys that only work with volume license
>>> versions of Windows.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> There is no OEM "version" of Windows. There are OEM licenses and retail
>> licenses, but the version of Windows remains the same, and installation
>> media should not matter.
>
> And yet, it does (or at least, it used to).
>
> I personally ran into problems using retail keys with MS Select VLA
> subscription media, and OEM licenses with boxed media.
>
> It's possible that MS has changed this since I last tried it (it's been
> a while), but this absolutely used to be the case.

As I said, it's been a while, looks like since Vista, this hasn't been an
issue.

Shows how much I use Windows. :)

Jim

>>> There is no OEM "version" of Windows. There are OEM licenses and retail
>>> licenses, but the version of Windows remains the same, and installation
>>> media should not matter.
>>
>> And yet, it does (or at least, it used to).
>>
>> I personally ran into problems using retail keys with MS Select VLA
>> subscription media, and OEM licenses with boxed media.
>>
>> It's possible that MS has changed this since I last tried it (it's been
>> a while), but this absolutely used to be the case.
>
> As I said, it's been a while, looks like since Vista, this hasn't been an
> issue.
>
> Shows how much I use Windows. :)

I vaguely remember something similar from back in the Win95/98 days,
stuck at the "enter product code" page and it not accepting my code
because I had a volume key or something.

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:54:19 +0100, scott wrote:

>>> And yet, it does (or at least, it used to).
>>>
>>> I personally ran into problems using retail keys with MS Select VLA
>>> subscription media, and OEM licenses with boxed media.
>>>
>>> It's possible that MS has changed this since I last tried it (it's
>>> been a while), but this absolutely used to be the case.
>>
>> As I said, it's been a while, looks like since Vista, this hasn't been
>> an issue.
>>
>> Shows how much I use Windows. :)
>
> I vaguely remember something similar from back in the Win95/98 days,
> stuck at the "enter product code" page and it not accepting my code
> because I had a volume key or something.

I remember it with XP as well.

Which tracks with what I found S-ing TFW. ;)

Jim