POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Conservation of sanity Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:34:53 EDT (-0400)
  Conservation of sanity (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Conservation of sanity
Date: 23 Jun 2014 15:50:21
Message: <53a884fd$1@news.povray.org>
According to the first law of thermodynamics, heat is conserved. As
such, if you put a hot object next to a cold one, the cold one will warm
up - but the hot one will also cool down.

I posit that sanity obeys a similar conservation principle. When I work
on a really old piece of code, as my work progresses the code becomes
more sane - but I become less sane...

Post a reply to this message

On 23/06/14 20:50, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> According to the first law of thermodynamics, heat is conserved. As
> such, if you put a hot object next to a cold one, the cold one will warm
> up - but the hot one will also cool down.
>
> I posit that sanity obeys a similar conservation principle. When I work
> on a really old piece of code, as my work progresses the code becomes
> more sane - but I become less sane...

Stephen can identify with this piece of wisdom.

Whatever you do, don't ask about his present project

John (not suffering idiots gladly since 1950)
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

> According to the first law of thermodynamics, heat is conserved. As
> such, if you put a hot object next to a cold one, the cold one will warm
> up - but the hot one will also cool down.
>
> I posit that sanity obeys a similar conservation principle. When I work
> on a really old piece of code, as my work progresses the code becomes
> more sane - but I become less sane...

Yes, but due to loss, the total sanity of a closed system decreases over
time.

>> I posit that sanity obeys a similar conservation principle. When I work
>> on a really old piece of code, as my work progresses the code becomes
>> more sane - but I become less sane...
>
> Yes, but due to loss, the total sanity of a closed system decreases over
> time.

Wouldn't that imply that after a few years there would be no sane people
left on Earth? Surely there must be some external sanity source...

Post a reply to this message

On 24/06/2014 7:16 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> I posit that sanity obeys a similar conservation principle. When I work
>>> on a really old piece of code, as my work progresses the code becomes
>>> more sane - but I become less sane...
>>
>> Yes, but due to loss, the total sanity of a closed system decreases over
>> time.
>
> Wouldn't that imply that after a few years there would be no sane people
> left on Earth? Surely there must be some external sanity source...

You will be believing in IQ, next. ;-)

It is verbiage. Sounds good, means nothing.
Sanity is fitting in with your peers.

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message

On 23/06/2014 11:25 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> On 23/06/14 20:50, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> According to the first law of thermodynamics, heat is conserved. As
>> such, if you put a hot object next to a cold one, the cold one will warm
>> up - but the hot one will also cool down.
>>
>> I posit that sanity obeys a similar conservation principle. When I work
>> on a really old piece of code, as my work progresses the code becomes
>> more sane - but I become less sane...
>
> Stephen can identify with this piece of wisdom.

For code read logic.

> Whatever you do, don't ask about his present project

LOL, It's not getting any better. Six weeks before "Go-Live" and we
still haven't finished config.

We're doomed, I tell ye. Doomed!

> John (not suffering idiots gladly since 1950)

St. Stephen, suffering fools, sadly. (But not as long as John.) :-P

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message

> According to the first law of thermodynamics, heat is conserved. As
> such, if you put a hot object next to a cold one, the cold one will warm
> up - but the hot one will also cool down.
>
> I posit that sanity obeys a similar conservation principle. When I work
> on a really old piece of code, as my work progresses the code becomes
> more sane - but I become less sane...

bugs me to debug

Post a reply to this message

Am 23.06.2014 21:50, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> According to the first law of thermodynamics, heat is conserved. As
> such, if you put a hot object next to a cold one, the cold one will warm
> up - but the hot one will also cool down.
>
> I posit that sanity obeys a similar conservation principle. When I work
> on a really old piece of code, as my work progresses the code becomes
> more sane - but I become less sane...

Makes sense; after all, according to quantum mechanics there /is/ such a
thing as conservation of information...

(... and it appears that black holes violate this law by swallowing
information, so yes, sanity in the universe is slowly declining...)

Post a reply to this message

> Makes sense; after all, according to quantum mechanics there /is/ such a
> thing as conservation of information...
>
> (... and it appears that black holes violate this law by swallowing
> information, so yes, sanity in the universe is slowly declining...)

sanity <==> entropy

The universe is slowly becoming mad.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> > Makes sense; after all, according to quantum mechanics there /is/ such a
> > thing as conservation of information...
> >
> > (... and it appears that black holes violate this law by swallowing
> > information, so yes, sanity in the universe is slowly declining...)
> >

> sanity <==> entropy
>
> The universe is slowly becoming mad.
>
> Thomas

Or sane, depending on your point of view.

Stephen