POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Diffusion equation in povray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Diffusion equation in povray? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Diffusion equation in povray?
Date: 18 Jan 2014 11:55:01
Message: <web.52dab1a7a667abdf3452adce0@news.povray.org>
I want to set up an expression which generates a curve.  The curve (vaguely
remembered from 25yo materials science classes) should look like the diffusion
equation in one dimension, or perhaps a Poisson distribution.

The closest thing I can find to it on the web involves a factorial in the
denominator.  I'm pretty sure the actual diffusion equation doesn't have a X! in
the denominator, and I guess that povray cannot do X! for fractional values.
But what I want is a curve generally of the shape like so:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28e^-6.3%29%2810^x%29%2Fx!+from+0+to+15

Looking for something f(0)=0,  with a single maximum at medium values, and very
slowly decays back to zero. The actual diffusion equation (as I remember from
long ago) would do that.  Like the smell on the opposite side of a room after
you open bottle. (Want it for my flocking formulas).

any tips?

Post a reply to this message

> Looking for something f(0)=0,  with a single maximum at medium values, and very
> slowly decays back to zero. The actual diffusion equation (as I remember from
> long ago) would do that.  Like the smell on the opposite side of a room after
> you open bottle. (Want it for my flocking formulas).

If you're after something simple, how about x/(x^2+a^2) which will give
you a peak at "a" and tail off slowly.

Post a reply to this message

> > Looking for something f(0)=0,  with a single maximum at medium values, and very
> > slowly decays back to zero. The actual diffusion equation (as I remember from
> > long ago) would do that.  Like the smell on the opposite side of a room after
> > you open bottle. (Want it for my flocking formulas).
>
> If you're after something simple, how about x/(x^2+a^2) which will give
> you a peak at "a" and tail off slowly.

great, thanks.