POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "revolutionizing the world" via Kickstarter Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  "revolutionizing the world" via Kickstarter (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Kenneth
Subject: "revolutionizing the world" via Kickstarter
Date: 12 Dec 2012 17:35:01
Message: <web.50c9058ad9b94fd6c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Has anyone else noticed the preponderance of projects on Kickstarter lately,
that claim to "revolutionize the world" or "make the world a better place" etc.
etc.? Hyperbola like this seems to have become a cliche on the site, and a bit
disingenuous. Some project descriptions look like they were written by a team of
super-slick PR people. I guess there's nothing wrong with that per se, but I
seem to remember the site as being a place where individuals posted their own
little projects, in hopes of getting some funding--without all the hubris.

Sad thing is, the more slick hype there is, the higher the funding seems to go.
You can't argue with success, I suppose.

If all of these world-saving projects actually see the light of day and live up
to their inflated promises, I guess we'll all be living in a utopia soon!