POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet PCs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:26:41 EDT (-0400)
  Tablet PCs (Message 21 to 30 of 52)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Tablet PCs
Date: 2 Sep 2011 12:08:31
Message: <4e60ff7f$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 01:12:29 -0400, Stephen wrote:

>> There you go again, typical Brit, adding unnecessary letters into
>> words. ;)
>>

> Mock not the afflicted!
> Besides that you lot add an "e" to whisky. And we can afford to put a
> "u" in labour and colour. :-P

Yes, but then you also have words like "thrufffff" (which I realise
doesn't work so well in writing - if you're familiar with Eddie Izzard's
work, though, you probably have heard that one - the word he's talking
about is "Through" (or in the US, "Thru").

But I think the most egregious examples of "unnecessary letters" are the
place names "Leicester" and "Worchestershire".  But I can understand not
pronouncing all of those letters, particularly after a few pints. ;)

The only thing missing, though, is the four M's, and the silent Q.

> At work we had a session about the differences between American and
> “real” English. Run of course by an Indian (from India). Who,
is an
> American citizen (not to mention a great guy).
> Good fun and lots of bonding.

Indeed - I've a friend in Bucks who is a linguistic 'purist' of sorts -
and who has a terrific sense of humour.  First time we went over, we
stayed with him and his wife (well, actually, both times we visited we
did for some period of time) - and he decided to use it as a chance to
practice his "American" speech, as he was planning a trip over here.

I finally got 'upset' (we both were laughing), and I told him "Shaun,
damn it, we're in England, and Amy and I are in fact bilingual - you
don't have to Americanise your speech for us!", and he explained that he
was coming over here and wanted to make sure people understood him.

To which, of course, the obvious answer was "Shaun, nobody will
understand you, and it's not because 'you talk funny'." ;)

Jim

Post a reply to this message