POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPL'ing scene files you share? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  GPL'ing scene files you share? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: gregjohn
Subject: GPL'ing scene files you share?
Date: 26 Mar 2008 19:55:00
Message: <web.47eaef6cd562dd3f34d207310@news.povray.org>
Is there any thought of what kinds of licenses will exist on the example scene
files distributed with povray if it ever goes GPL?

I can imagine a few problematic scenarios in either direction:

1) All the basic templates are GPL'ed.  Does this mean that every scene file
that ever uses them has to be GPL'ed.

2) It ships with some files that are the copyrighted property of the artist.
Then someone wants to put povray on a live linux CD and some pointy-headed
person claims it's illegal because of the proprietary code in the files.

Are there benefits in making example scene files which are free, free as in
not-even-with-RMS's restrictions?

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:50:52 -0500, gregjohn wrote:

> Is there any thought of what kinds of licenses will exist on the example
> scene files distributed with povray if it ever goes GPL?
>
> I can imagine a few problematic scenarios in either direction:
>
> 1) All the basic templates are GPL'ed.  Does this mean that every scene
> file that ever uses them has to be GPL'ed.
>
> 2) It ships with some files that are the copyrighted property of the
> artist. Then someone wants to put povray on a live linux CD and some
> pointy-headed person claims it's illegal because of the proprietary code
> in the files.
>

> Are there benefits in making example scene files which are free, free as
> in not-even-with-RMS's restrictions?

Seems to me like Creative Commons might be a good option - but I'm
wondering how this is 'off-topic'....?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Is there any thought of what kinds of licenses will exist on the example scene
> files distributed with povray if it ever goes GPL?

  Just because the POV-Ray source code is GPL doesn't mean that the scene
files have to be. That would be as absurd as saying that every text file
you open with emacs must be GPL simply because emacs' source code is GPL.

> I can imagine a few problematic scenarios in either direction:

> 1) All the basic templates are GPL'ed.  Does this mean that every scene file
> that ever uses them has to be GPL'ed.

  No scene files or include files have to be GPL'd. They are input files
to the program, not source code.

> 2) It ships with some files that are the copyrighted property of the artist.
> Then someone wants to put povray on a live linux CD and some pointy-headed
> person claims it's illegal because of the proprietary code in the files.

  All code, including GPL code, has copyright. GPL doesn't mean the author
loses his copyrights. Distributing copyrighted code is not bound go copyright
but to a license. Even the current POV-Ray includes a detailed distribution
license for this reason.

> Are there benefits in making example scene files which are free, free as in
> not-even-with-RMS's restrictions?

  Once again: Just because POV-Ray's source code is GPL doesn't mean that
the scene files have to be.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message