POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Real or Render? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Real or Render? (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Real or Render?
Date: 21 May 2011 14:50:02
Message: <op.vvug9judufxv4h@xena>
Why does this look so much like a render? The moon looks so huge and the
sun so small...

http://www.marlothparkhonoraryrangers.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/sunset.jpg

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Real or Render?
Date: 21 May 2011 15:07:29
Message: <4dd80d71@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Why does this look so much like a render? The moon looks so huge and the
> sun so small...

> http://www.marlothparkhonoraryrangers.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/sunset.jpg

  Is that supposed to be a photograph? Without a technical explanation of
how it's possible, I'm not ready to accept it as one (at least not one which
hasn't been post-processed).

  In comics and cartoons (especially anime) sometimes a ginormous Moon is
shown, for dramatic effect. This is not, in fact, completely impossible,
at least if the Moon is very close to (or even partially covered by) the
horizon: The effect can be achieved with a photograph by using a really
strong zoom and aiming at the horizon, where the Moon is. This is especially
effective if there happens to be some detail (such as a house or a tree) in
front of the Moon just as the photo is taken. It makes the Moon look enormous
compared to the detail in front of it. (Of course with such a strong zoom
there will be no perspective to speak of.)

  However, the relative size of the Moon and the Sun, as seen from here,
is about the same. Using this zooming trick would enlarge both. (Both are
so far away that it would make no practical difference in how large they
look.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message