POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cognitive Science Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Cognitive Science (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Cognitive Science
Date: 14 Mar 2011 13:04:36
Message: <4d7e4aa4@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/03/14 04:59, Invisible a écrit :
> On 12/03/2011 05:04 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> I wonder if this is commercially available yet.
>>
>> Life before google:
>>
>> Him: "I just thought of something I'd like to know more about."
>>
>> Her: "Oh, that's a shame."
>
> First hit on Google is Wikipedia (obviously). According to Wikipedia,
> doing this kind of thing requires quite invasive equipment. For some
> reason I thought you could just wear a head-mounted device that uses IR
> lasers to detect which way your eyeball is pointing, but no. Apparently
It DOES exist now! Some use IR laser, some use normal, ambient light.
> you have to have electrodes implanted into the skin around your eye to
> measure muscle activity, or something equally surgical.
Not anymore.

> Bummer.

Those are early and crude technology dating back to the infancy of eye
tracking.

Now, you have eye tracking imbeded into pilot's helmets used for target
selection. About 1 arc minute acuracy and 0.1~0.2 second response time.
Takes the eye and head position into acount. Actualy deployed for well
over 10 years... Standard isue in F16 and F18 fighters.

You also have "civilian" versions that are somewhat slower and much less
acurate. Some of those don't need to be worn, but are placed in front of
you, like on top of your monitor and don't require you to stay
stationary: it locates your head, pinpoints your eyes and find where
they are looking. Still expensive.
Acuracy of about 1~2°, response time from 0.5 to 2 seconds.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 14 Mar 2011 13:06:07
Message: <4d7e4aff@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> On 12/03/2011 05:04 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> I wonder if this is commercially available yet.
>>
>> Life before google:
>>
>> Him: "I just thought of something I'd like to know more about."
>>
>> Her: "Oh, that's a shame."
>
> First hit on Google is Wikipedia (obviously).

Sometimes you have to look at more than one. You want a COTS eye tracker,
google for COTS eye tracking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwk4ItOwOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thGrRNKVhXA

I also saw one that you sit in a chair an it basically uses little
telescopes to watch your eyes from the other side of the room.

Now what would be cool is what is still apparently research papers, which is
doing this with a web cam.

Or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgmONlusBV8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jso9fpi2IQ

--