POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brainteaser? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Brainteaser? (Message 21 to 28 of 28)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Brainteaser?
Date: 20 Sep 2011 16:27:13
Message: <4e78f721@news.povray.org>
On 9/20/2011 1:08, Invisible wrote:
> On 20/09/2011 02:06 AM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 9/19/2011 11:20, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Fact is, 0 * infinity = 0, so it's not a sensible answer.
>>
>> I can't imagine how you can say dividing by zero is undefined, but then
>> go and define multiplying zero by infinity. :-)
>
> If you multiply *anything* by zero, the result is always zero.

No it isn't, if you don't take into account the existence of infinity.

> pre-existing definition of how multiplication by zero works.

The "pre-existing definition" doesn't take into account infinity.

Yes, multiplying any real number by zero gives you zero. That isn't saying
anything about infinity.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

>>> I can't imagine how you can say dividing by zero is undefined, but then
>>> go and define multiplying zero by infinity. :-)
>>
>> If you multiply *anything* by zero, the result is always zero.
>
> No it isn't, if you don't take into account the existence of infinity.
>
>> pre-existing definition of how multiplication by zero works.
>
> The "pre-existing definition" doesn't take into account infinity.
>
> Yes, multiplying any real number by zero gives you zero. That isn't
> saying anything about infinity.

Put another way: multiplying any number by zero gives zero, multiplying
any number by infinity gives infinity (give or take a sign)

Hence 0 * infinity is both zero and infinity.
Or actually it isn't, it is undefined.

The actual rules are:
multiplying any *finite* number by zero gives zero,
multiplying any *non-zero, positive* number by infinity gives infinity

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.

Post a reply to this message