POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brainteaser? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:43 EDT (-0400)
  Brainteaser? (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Brainteaser?
Date: 20 Sep 2011 04:18:18
Message: <4e784c4a$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/09/2011 07:26 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:
> On 9/19/2011 11:20 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>
>> Well, if you define it to be Heth then it's defined... It's not
>> necessarily a good idea though.
>>
>> Fact is, 0 * infinity = 0, so it's not a sensible answer. Unless you
>> change the axioms of arithmetic. (And even if you do, division by zero
>> leads to logical paradoxes left, right and center...)
>>

> Somehow I knew you'd post something like this. The fact is, however,
> that defining division by zero to be infinity is actually quite common
> and very useful in some areas of mathematics, and it doesn't lead to
> paradoxes if you modify arithmetic suitably.

Well, sure. I mean, if you "modify arithmetic" such that "zero" actually
means one, then division by zero becomes /perfectly/ sensible...

In practise, I've seen people talk about a result "approaching
infinity", or about infinity being the limit of something. And I've seen
either the real line or the complex plane extended to include a "point
at infinity". But I've never seen anybody attempt to claim that dividing
by zero yields a definite, reliable "answer". (Other than engineers, who
are of course wrong.)

Post a reply to this message