POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Lisp Curse Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  The Lisp Curse (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: The Lisp Curse
Date: 14 May 2011 01:57:03
Message: <871v01g7bx.fsf@fester.com>
http://www.winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html

Reminds me of an Arthur C. Clarke story about how a civilization lost a
war due to having superior weapons...

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: The Lisp Curse
Date: 14 May 2011 04:04:34
Message: <4dce3792@news.povray.org>

  And the obligatory: http://xkcd.com/224/

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 14 May 2011 20:26:14
Message: <4dcf1da6$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:

> http://www.winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html
>
> Reminds me of an Arthur C. Clarke story about how a civilization lost a
> war due to having superior weapons...

indeed.  Lisp is so powerful you often don't see the need to code more
than quick throw away snippets to solve a particular problem.  And so
you don't.

I'd say that's a problem with Perl too and its famous one-liners, but at
least there's far more community momentum to keep it going and feeding
CPAN with real-world code.

Post a reply to this message