POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Lights Server Time
14 Jul 2024 21:56:01 EDT (-0400)
  Northern Lights (Message 1 to 4 of 4)  
From: Josh English
Subject: Northern Lights
Date: 11 May 2024 13:57:45
Message: <663fb199@news.povray.org>
I live in Portland Oregon and for the first time in my life I saw the 
northern lights and I kept coming back to the old standard "how did God 
define this media?"


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'pxl_20240511_062946014.night.jpg' (1912 KB)

Preview of image 'pxl_20240511_062946014.night.jpg'
pxl_20240511_062946014.night.jpg


 

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Northern Lights
Date: 11 May 2024 14:19:07
Message: <pan$6edf8$58979fa3$ef44315c$db947214@nospam.com>
On Sat, 11 May 2024 10:57:32 -0700, Josh English wrote:

> I live in Portland Oregon and for the first time in my life I saw the
> northern lights and I kept coming back to the old standard "how did God
> define this media?"

Great picture - how much light pollution is around you?

We're about an hour outside of Seattle, missed it last night, but are 
going to look tonight.  We're on one of the islands, so light pollution is 
fairly low, but not completely gone.



-- 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and 
besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw


Post a reply to this message

From: Josh English
Subject: Re: Northern Lights
Date: 11 May 2024 15:27:34
Message: <663fc6a6@news.povray.org>
On 5/11/2024 11:19 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 11 May 2024 10:57:32 -0700, Josh English wrote:
> 
>> I live in Portland Oregon and for the first time in my life I saw the
>> northern lights and I kept coming back to the old standard "how did God
>> define this media?"
> 
> Great picture - how much light pollution is around you?
> 
> We're about an hour outside of Seattle, missed it last night, but are
> going to look tonight.  We're on one of the islands, so light pollution is
> fairly low, but not completely gone.
> 
> 
> 
I live in SW Portland, so there isn't much but we thought it would be 
enough. Although I've seen some beautiful pictures taken from parks in 
SW Portland and we have some big parks in my area.

When we got home just after midnight I looked up and there was a faint 
glow. This is the image my phone managed to pull.

We probably didn't need to drive 20 miles north, but I think it was 
worth it.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'pxl_20240511_071349899.night.jpg' (1015 KB)

Preview of image 'pxl_20240511_071349899.night.jpg'
pxl_20240511_071349899.night.jpg


 

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Northern Lights
Date: 11 May 2024 15:46:17
Message: <pan$45539$a32b1aa2$49e054e$c592902d@nospam.com>
On Sat, 11 May 2024 12:27:24 -0700, Josh English wrote:

> I live in SW Portland, so there isn't much but we thought it would be
> enough. Although I've seen some beautiful pictures taken from parks in
> SW Portland and we have some big parks in my area.
> 
> When we got home just after midnight I looked up and there was a faint
> glow. This is the image my phone managed to pull.
> 
> We probably didn't need to drive 20 miles north, but I think it was
> worth it.

Nice!  Thanks for the info - that will help me determine if we need to 
take a quick road trip tonight, once I see what the forecast looks like 
from NOAA (their forecast leads by about 30 minutes)



-- 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and 
besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.