POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm Back!? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  I'm Back!? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Leroy
Subject: I'm Back!?
Date: 15 May 2020 22:50:01
Message: <web.5ebf4b8a52cc96e8f2c160260@news.povray.org>
It been awhile, I lost the internet a few month ago.
Really my Wi-Wi connection to my computer died.
Trying to get a new one was an adventure in itself.

Now to all the things (most of the things) I had questions about.

Has any one use the windows Pov Editor to make audio Data samples for Audacity?
I have and it was fun!

I also wanted to know if there are any people who use my height field programs
from my web site.(http://leroyw.byethost15.com/)

I've use them and POV to make a road on Mars. Then I animated a road trip.

While doing so I came upon a thing about natural splines. In order to make a
complete oval path I had to use 8 values from the end of the spline in front of
the basic spline & 8 values from the start of the spline at the end.
I wonder if any one has come across this before?

A word about animation: I did something that save my a lot of time rendering.
I render the Road animation, it took 6 hours and it was just you flying around
the track. Then I rendered a Car only with Apha on.(it took 45 min. to render.)
Then I combine the two using images maps on in front of the other and render the
final animation. (render tine 35 min.)

I was wondering how many people use this technique?
And what other other techniques you find useful?

It's nice to be back.
I know I forgot some other question that where important at one time or another

Thanks for any replies!
Have Fun!

Post a reply to this message

> I also wanted to know if there are any people who use my height field programs
> from my web site.(http://leroyw.byethost15.com/)
>
> I've use them and POV to make a road on Mars. Then I animated a road trip.

Not here, but would be interesting to see the annimation.

> While doing so I came upon a thing about natural splines. In order to make a
> complete oval path I had to use 8 values from the end of the spline in front of
> the basic spline & 8 values from the start of the spline at the end.
> I wonder if any one has come across this before?

What didn't work with fewer?

I'm not a great user of POV-Ray's splines, but you do sometimes have to
overlap on loops to get continuity or completeness. Never heard of
anyone needing 8 additional values of both ends though. More wouldn't
hurt I guess, so long as you are still picking off the loop values you
need from the middle of the spline.

> A word about animation: I did something that save my a lot of time rendering.
> I render the Road animation, it took 6 hours and it was just you flying around
> the track. Then I rendered a Car only with Apha on.(it took 45 min. to render.)
> Then I combine the two using images maps on in front of the other and render the
> final animation. (render tine 35 min.)

I'm not an animation guy, but cool trick.

> I was wondering how many people use this technique?
> And what other other techniques you find useful?

Glad you're back.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

It's now on Youtube https://youtu.be/q18Bh3hlfnM

> > While doing so I came upon a thing about natural splines. In order to make a
> > complete oval path I had to use 8 values from the end of the spline in front of
> > the basic spline & 8 values from the start of the spline at the end.
> > I wonder if any one has come across this before?
>
> What didn't work with fewer?

I couldn't get the spline output values to match exactly. I settle on 8 because
it gave a fractional match to 5 decimal places.
6 was good for 4 places, I tested up to 10 places(my spline was big 35 elements)

> I'm not a great user of POV-Ray's splines, but you do sometimes have to
> overlap on loops to get continuity or completeness. Never heard of
> anyone needing 8 additional values of both ends though. More wouldn't
> hurt I guess, so long as you are still picking off the loop values you
> need from the middle of the spline.

 I don't either, but I did use the dickens out of splines for this project.
After I made the road height field using splines, I made an image map with the
road pavement and the 3 lines on the road, They all use different splines. Oh I
almost forgot the path around the track and the sound track. Their the reason I
needed the spline extended. I was getting a jump when played as a loop.

> Glad you're back.
>
> Bill P.

Thanks Bill

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 May 2020 19:45:01
Message: <web.5ec07a98cdc6b096fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"Leroy" <whe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > > I also wanted to know if there are any people who use my height field programs
> > > from my web site.(http://leroyw.byethost15.com/)

Not _yet_, as I have so many other things eating up time, and IIRC, I have to
switch over to Windows....
But I think you've solved a problem I wanted to address a while back.
http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3Cweb.5bfcb3737f70c61c765e06870%40news.povray.org%3E/

> It's now on Youtube https://youtu.be/q18Bh3hlfnM

Truly, you are a madman.
I would like to borrow even half your energy and focus.

I hope you document some of what you learned and how to edit sound...

Do you know if there's a way to read in MP3 in any meaningful way?

Glad to have you back.   Connectivity issues are a real challenge sometimes.

- Bill W

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 May 2020 03:05:19
Message: <5ec0e22f$1@news.povray.org>
Op 16/05/2020 om 04:47 schreef Leroy:
> It been awhile, I lost the internet a few month ago.
> Really my Wi-Wi connection to my computer died.
> Trying to get a new one was an adventure in itself.

Welcome back indeed.

> Now to all the things (most of the things) I had questions about.
>
> Has any one use the windows Pov Editor to make audio Data samples for Audacity?
> I have and it was fun!

That wakens old memories from before my POV days... but no, I am not
using/making audios anymore.

> I also wanted to know if there are any people who use my height field programs
> from my web site.(http://leroyw.byethost15.com/)

I am ashamed to confess: It is /still/ on my todo list (taking dust in a
corner of course)...

> I've use them and POV to make a road on Mars. Then I animated a road trip.

I would like to see that! Is it visible somewhere?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Date: 21 May 2020 13:50:00
Message: <web.5ec6be4dcdc6b0963e80dacf0@news.povray.org>

> Truly, you are a madman.

 Yes, Yes, I am...

> I would like to borrow even half your energy and focus.

Really I'm lazy. But when I start something I can't let go.

> I hope you document some of what you learned and how to edit sound...

 I wish. To much of it is scatter on multi drives and stuck in my brain.

> Do you know if there's a way to read in MP3 in any meaningful way?

 I haven't really got into MP3 code. From my understanding it is lossy like jpg.
I've played mostly with Wave and Midi and Mpeg(the very old version ).

> - Bill W
Have fun!

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Date: 21 May 2020 14:55:01
Message: <web.5ec6ce21cdc6b0963e80dacf0@news.povray.org>
First I like to thank you all for you replies.

I put an update version of MarsCars, MarsCarsII on youtube

https://youtu.be/oxD8bSPVMng

I also made a play list but I really don't know how they work

it's Leroy's POV-ray gun.

There is 4 videos on it.

Finally I wanted to tell the reason I wanted to know if anyone use my height
field programs. While I use them to make the height field & data used in my
videos, I thought of a lot more functions I could add. For one thing Zoom, And
better contour lines to map algorythem. And while I'm at it put the road
function in somewhere. Maybe even a river function. It would be a total rewrite.
I don't know if it would be worth the trouble.

Thanks again! and Have fun!

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 May 2020 02:30:27
Message: <5ec77183$1@news.povray.org>
Op 21/05/2020 om 20:53 schreef Leroy:
> First I like to thank you all for you replies.
>
> I put an update version of MarsCars, MarsCarsII on youtube
>
> https://youtu.be/oxD8bSPVMng
>
> I also made a play list but I really don't know how they work
>
> it's Leroy's POV-ray gun.
>
> There is 4 videos on it.
>
> Finally I wanted to tell the reason I wanted to know if anyone use my height
> field programs. While I use them to make the height field & data used in my
> videos, I thought of a lot more functions I could add. For one thing Zoom, And
> better contour lines to map algorythem. And while I'm at it put the road
> function in somewhere. Maybe even a river function. It would be a total rewrite.
> I don't know if it would be worth the trouble.
>
> Thanks again! and Have fun!

It probably would be an interesting exercise to do so. :-)

Do you know WorldMachine? http://www.world-machine.com/index.php

It has now also a 'Road' and a 'River' feature. The free version is
limited to a 513x513 output but with some creativity and the help of
other HF generators this is not a very big issue.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Date: 24 May 2020 18:25:00
Message: <web.5ecaf354cdc6b096baed37fa0@news.povray.org>
> Do you know WorldMachine? http://www.world-machine.com/index.php
>
> It has now also a 'Road' and a 'River' feature. The free version is
> limited to a 513x513 output but with some creativity and the help of
> other HF generators this is not a very big issue.
>
> --
> Thomas

After a brief look at WorldMachine. It'll be better to forget about making maps,
and concentrate on updating the map placer program. To tell the truth I haven't
looked at many other HF generators for a long time.

Have Fun!