POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Security issue of news.povray.org Server Time
10 May 2024 09:30:29 EDT (-0400)
  Security issue of news.povray.org (Message 24 to 33 of 33)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Security issue of news.povray.org
Date: 14 Sep 2018 14:35:04
Message: <web.5b9bfee2ee91e94da47873e10@news.povray.org>

> Thanks for pointing this out; this will teach me to test connections
> from outside my office as well as here ;). I hadn't enabled port 443 for
> that IP via the firewall, so it was blocked to anyone but me (my IP is
> whitelisted).
>
> Working now, I hope!

I just noticed that the newsgroup log-in page-- using the web interface (and
Firefox)-- is still not secure (no  https there, as far as I can see, and the
little 'lock' logo has a line through it). Should it be secured as well?

Post a reply to this message

> I just noticed that the newsgroup log-in page-- using the web interface (and
> Firefox)-- is still not secure (no  https there, as far as I can see, and the
> little 'lock' logo has a line through it). Should it be secured as well?
Technically it was, but you needed to manually visit the HTTPS site
(i.e. https://www.povray.org/). I just tweaked the site config so that
anyone landing on http://www.povray.org/community gets redirected to the
secure version. Hopefully this won't have any unintended side-effects as
there's several other server rules that apply to that path. If you see
anything misbehaving please let me know.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Sep 2018 15:04:03
Message: <5b9c0623$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/09/2018 19:47, Chris Cason wrote:
> On 15/09/2018 04:33, Kenneth wrote:
>> I just noticed that the newsgroup log-in page-- using the web interface (and
>> Firefox)-- is still not secure (no  https there, as far as I can see, and the
>> little 'lock' logo has a line through it). Should it be secured as well?
> Technically it was, but you needed to manually visit the HTTPS site
> (i.e. https://www.povray.org/). I just tweaked the site config so that
> anyone landing on http://www.povray.org/community gets redirected to the
> secure version. Hopefully this won't have any unintended side-effects as
> there's several other server rules that apply to that path. If you see
> anything misbehaving please let me know.
>
> -- Chris

Sorry

The connection has timed out

The server at www.povray.org is taking too long to respond.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Sep 2018 18:40:00
Message: <web.5b9c3780ee91e94da47873e10@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 14/09/2018 19:47, Chris Cason wrote:
>
> ...Hopefully this won't have any unintended side-effects as
> > there's several other server rules that apply to that path. If you see
> > anything misbehaving please let me know.
> >
> > -- Chris
> >

> Sorry
>

> The connection has timed out
>
> The server at www.povray.org is taking too long to respond.

That's strange; everything is working OK for me. I tested both the original
unsecured
       http://news.povray.org/groups/
page, and the new secured one.  (That's generally how I get to the newsgroups.)
In both cases, when I fire-up a fresh Firefox, go to the 'groups' page, then go
to this particular message thread and log-in to leave a message (this one, in
fact!), the log-in page is now secure, and with no time-out. I also tried going
*directly* to an old POV-Ray message thread that I bookmarked-- thus by-passing
any other newsgroup related web pages-- and the new scheme still works.

[I have Firefox set to erase passwords and such when I exit it , if that has
anything to do with the problem. I don't keep the program active all the time.]

Or maybe it's a web-portal vs. newsreader problem?

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Sep 2018 02:41:25
Message: <5b9ca995@news.povray.org>
On 15-9-2018 0:35, Kenneth wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> On 14/09/2018 19:47, Chris Cason wrote:
>>
>> ...Hopefully this won't have any unintended side-effects as
>>> there's several other server rules that apply to that path. If you see
>>> anything misbehaving please let me know.
>>>
>>> -- Chris
>>>

>> Sorry
>>

>> The connection has timed out
>>
>> The server at www.povray.org is taking too long to respond.
>>

> That's strange; everything is working OK for me. I tested both the original
> unsecured
>         http://news.povray.org/groups/
> page, and the new secured one.  (That's generally how I get to the newsgroups.)
> In both cases, when I fire-up a fresh Firefox, go to the 'groups' page, then go
> to this particular message thread and log-in to leave a message (this one, in
> fact!), the log-in page is now secure, and with no time-out. I also tried going
> *directly* to an old POV-Ray message thread that I bookmarked-- thus by-passing
> any other newsgroup related web pages-- and the new scheme still works.
>
> [I have Firefox set to erase passwords and such when I exit it , if that has
> anything to do with the problem. I don't keep the program active all the time.]
>
> Or maybe it's a web-portal vs. newsreader problem?

Same here. It works without a glitch.

Be sure to delete the 'old' addresses to avoid confusion in you
bookmarks file.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Sep 2018 03:53:20
Message: <5b9cba70$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2018 07:41, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 15-9-2018 0:35, Kenneth wrote:
>> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>>> On 14/09/2018 19:47, Chris Cason wrote:
>>>
>>> ...Hopefully this won't have any unintended side-effects as

>>> Sorry
>>>

>>> The connection has timed out
>>>
>>> The server at www.povray.org is taking too long to respond.
>>>

>> That's strange; everything is working OK for me. I tested both the
>> original
>> unsecured

>> newsgroups.)
>> In both cases, when I fire-up a fresh Firefox, go to the 'groups'
>> page, then go
>> to this particular message thread and log-in to leave a message (this
>> one, in
>> fact!), the log-in page is now secure, and with no time-out. I also
>> tried going
>> *directly* to an old POV-Ray message thread that I bookmarked-- thus
>> by-passing
>> any other newsgroup related web pages-- and the new scheme still works.
>>
>> [I have Firefox set to erase passwords and such when I exit it , if
>> that has
>> anything to do with the problem. I don't keep the program active all
>> the time.]
>>
>> Or maybe it's a web-portal vs. newsreader problem?
>>

> Same here. It works without a glitch.

I get onto the site now. Maybe three of us were trying to access it at
the same time. ;)

> Be sure to delete the 'old' addresses to avoid confusion in you
> bookmarks file.

I changed them to https instead

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Sep 2018 18:45:00
Message: <web.5b9d8aaeee91e94da47873e10@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> I get onto the site now. Maybe three of us were trying to access it at
> the same time. ;)

Network overload!!

Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 15 Sep 2018 20:24:17
Message: <5b9da2b1$1@news.povray.org>
On 2018-09-10 10:32 AM (-4), Chris Cason wrote:
> Folks,
>
> SSL access to the forums is now enabled: https://news.povray.org/
>
> -- Chris

The Object Collection (lib.povray.org) does not work with HTTPS.

Also, I am not getting redirected from the old URLs, though I don't know
if it's a problem on my end.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Sep 2018 04:01:14
Message: <5b9e0dca$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/09/2018 01:24, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 2018-09-10 10:32 AM (-4), Chris Cason wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> SSL access to the forums is now enabled: https://news.povray.org/
>>
>> -- Chris
>
> The Object Collection (lib.povray.org) does not work with HTTPS.
>
> Also, I am not getting redirected from the old URLs, though I don't know
> if it's a problem on my end.

Chris said it was just the one address that redirected you.

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Sep 2018 05:14:28
Message: <5b9e1ef4$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2018 23:41, Kenneth wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>

>> I get onto the site now. Maybe three of us were trying to access it at
>> the same time. ;)
>>

> Network overload!!

Stress test. :)

--