POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : new favorite spam Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  new favorite spam (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: dick balaska
Subject: new favorite spam
Date: 26 Jul 2018 22:57:36
Message: <5b5a8a20$1@news.povray.org>
I've got a couple of these lately:

So this guy hacked my computer and caught me masturbating on my webcam
white visiting porn sites.  He wants $500 in bitcoin (five hundred
dollars!) or he's going to encrypt/disable my computer.

1) I don't have a webcam.
2) What difference does it make what he caught me doing? If he's on my
machine, he's on my machine regardless of what I was doing.
3) How many phish do you reckon he's caught?  I would hope if someone
was savvy enough to use bitcoin that they'd be savvy enough to know this
was a scam.  But, it only takes one phish to make it worth his while.

--
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)

Post a reply to this message

> So this guy hacked my computer and caught me masturbating on my webcam
> white visiting porn sites.  He wants $500 in bitcoin (five hundred
> dollars!) or he's going to encrypt/disable my computer.
>
> 1) I don't have a webcam.
> 2) What difference does it make what he caught me doing? If he's on my
> machine, he's on my machine regardless of what I was doing.
> 3) How many phish do you reckon he's caught?  I would hope if someone
> was savvy enough to use bitcoin that they'd be savvy enough to know this
> was a scam.  But, it only takes one phish to make it worth his while.

Interestingly, just yesterday the police here in NL advised the public
to totally ignore this new scam. They do not appear to have teeth.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 27-7-2018 8:05, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 27-7-2018 4:57, dick balaska wrote:
>> I've got a couple of these lately:
>>
>> So this guy hacked my computer and caught me masturbating on my webcam
>> white visiting porn sites.  He wants $500 in bitcoin (five hundred
>> dollars!) or he's going to encrypt/disable my computer.
>>
>> 1) I don't have a webcam.
>> 2) What difference does it make what he caught me doing? If he's on my
>> machine, he's on my machine regardless of what I was doing.
>> 3) How many phish do you reckon he's caught?  I would hope if someone
>> was savvy enough to use bitcoin that they'd be savvy enough to know this
>> was a scam.  But, it only takes one phish to make it worth his while.
>>

> Interestingly, just yesterday the police here in NL advised the public
> to totally ignore this new scam. They do not appear to have teeth.

As so often, I hit the send button to rapidly.

They also said that if you received such a message, your mail address
was probably hacked earlier from some internet site. Well, that seems
obvious.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 27 Jul 2018 02:58:20
Message: <5b5ac28c$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/27/2018 2:09 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> They also said that if you received such a message, your mail address
> was probably hacked earlier from some internet site. Well, that seems
> obvious.

Whew! What a relief!

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 27 Jul 2018 09:19:57
Message: <5b5b1bfd$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.07.2018 um 04:57 schrieb dick balaska:
> I've got a couple of these lately:
>
> So this guy hacked my computer and caught me masturbating on my webcam
> white visiting porn sites.  He wants $500 in bitcoin (five hundred
> dollars!) or he's going to encrypt/disable my computer.
>
> 1) I don't have a webcam.

Same here. Except, no threats (yet) to encrypt/disable my computer, but
rather he has me videotaped with the non-existing webcam, and he's going
to send the video to my boss.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Jul 2018 02:35:13
Message: <5b5c0ea1@news.povray.org>
On 27-7-2018 15:19, clipka wrote:
> Am 27.07.2018 um 04:57 schrieb dick balaska:
>> I've got a couple of these lately:
>>
>> So this guy hacked my computer and caught me masturbating on my webcam
>> white visiting porn sites.  He wants $500 in bitcoin (five hundred
>> dollars!) or he's going to encrypt/disable my computer.
>>
>> 1) I don't have a webcam.
>
> Same here. Except, no threats (yet) to encrypt/disable my computer, but
> rather he has me videotaped with the non-existing webcam, and he's going
> to send the video to my boss.

[shudder]

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 30 Jul 2018 17:45:01
Message: <web.5b5f85dbf314d04a7f3c1ba90@news.povray.org>
how about being phoned by Beijing frequently and if you answer the call having a
mute signal?  Happens to me on cellphone, even to my parents on regular line.
weird...

I wonder if it's Wintermute being born from all internetworks and if it will
answer some day...

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 31 Jul 2018 02:13:14
Message: <5b5ffdfa$1@news.povray.org>
On 30-7-2018 23:40, nemesis wrote:
> how about being phoned by Beijing frequently and if you answer the call having a
> mute signal?  Happens to me on cellphone, even to my parents on regular line.
> weird...
>
> I wonder if it's Wintermute being born from all internetworks and if it will
> answer some day...

About ten years ago, That happened indeed with my regular land line
phone. I complained to the hone company who sent me a form on which to
note days and times of happening. Curiously, from then on, it never
happened again... go figure. I never had to note one single occurrence.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 31 Jul 2018 12:45:01
Message: <web.5b6091def314d04a7f3c1ba90@news.povray.org>
> On 30-7-2018 23:40, nemesis wrote:
> > how about being phoned by Beijing frequently and if you answer the call having a
> > mute signal?  Happens to me on cellphone, even to my parents on regular line.
> > weird...
> >
> > I wonder if it's Wintermute being born from all internetworks and if it will
> > answer some day...
> >

> About ten years ago, That happened indeed with my regular land line
> phone. I complained to the hone company who sent me a form on which to
> note days and times of happening. Curiously, from then on, it never
> happened again... go figure. I never had to note one single occurrence.

ah, Brazil... even for spam we're always late... Lol

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Aug 2018 02:20:17
Message: <5b615121@news.povray.org>
On 31-7-2018 18:44, nemesis wrote:
>> On 30-7-2018 23:40, nemesis wrote:
>>> how about being phoned by Beijing frequently and if you answer the call having a
>>> mute signal?  Happens to me on cellphone, even to my parents on regular line.
>>> weird...
>>>
>>> I wonder if it's Wintermute being born from all internetworks and if it will
>>> answer some day...
>>>

>> About ten years ago, That happened indeed with my regular land line
>> phone. I complained to the hone company who sent me a form on which to
>> note days and times of happening. Curiously, from then on, it never
>> happened again... go figure. I never had to note one single occurrence.
>

> ah, Brazil... even for spam we're always late... Lol

I must say that, in my case, I am not sure if it was spam. I had just
got a new phone number after moving houses, and I have always wondered
if it was not the phone company which was at fault. I thought it was
very significant that the trouble ended the day I complained.

--
Thomas