POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Keyboards & games Server Time
9 May 2024 02:47:23 EDT (-0400)
  Keyboards & games (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Keyboards & games
Date: 22 Jul 2018 11:15:13
Message: <5b549f81$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.07.2018 um 16:55 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 7/22/2018 10:44 AM, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> I originally planned Dvorak layouts too, but I couldn't figure out if
>>> the codes stay the same or not.
>>
>> Dvorak just changes the characters. The key codes remain unchanged.
>>

> And I wonder how that affects games. For instance one control method for
> many games is to use the W,A,S,D keys for movement. What happens on a
> Dvorak keyboard? And what if the same game uses the I key for
> "inventory" and C key for "character sheet"? Do they get switched around
> or not?
>
> There is no way to predict this for every game, and I have never seen
> game documentation including Dvorak keyboards.

Wait until you encounter a game where you need/can input text somewhere,
e.g. enter a player name, search for a location by name, or whatever.

That's where the real fun begins: Some games still deal with key codes
there, and do their own mapping to characters, rather than delegating
that job to the OS. Verz, verz annozing on non-US kezboards.