POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Weird behavior after closing VMWare Player Server Time
27 Apr 2024 19:01:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weird behavior after closing VMWare Player (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Weird behavior after closing VMWare Player
Date: 15 Jul 2018 22:05:38
Message: <5b4bfd72$1@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron's explanation is interesting and helpful.

You're rant is not.

:(

On 7/13/2018 9:57 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 13.07.2018 um 04:57 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> On my host machine, when I close VMWare Player, I have to wait 5-10
>> minutes to start it again. Otherwise, the program just kind of hangs and
>> does nothing for a while.
>>
>> The weird part is, I have to wait 5-10 minutes before I can start
>> POV-Ray too or it will be super slow. ON MY HOST MACHINE!!
>
> So you're basically saying, "certain programs" run super slow on your
> host machine if started within 5-10 minutes after closing VMWare Player,
> with "certain programs" including both POV-Ray and the VMWare Player itself.
>
> Well, then by the very definition of the word that's not a POV-Ray
> specific problem.
>

> More of a VMWare Player specific problem. Or maybe even a more generic
> problem. My guess would be cleanup of resources used by VMWare Player.
>
> But whatever the reason, it is most certainly not a bug in POV-Ray, and
> therefore off-topic in this newsgroup.

Post a reply to this message

From: dick balaska
Date: 15 Jul 2018 23:57:24
Message: <5b4c17a4$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/15/2018 10:06 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> Le_Forgeron's explanation is interesting and helpful.
>
> You're rant is not.
>
> :(

As rants go, that was pretty mild.  Still, not as nice as clipka usually is.

I have, in the past, seen similar behavior where "certain programs"
behave oddly super slow, after "certain events".  I never figured out
which resources were being chewed up. I would have assumed memory, but
Task Manager always said I was good.

--
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)

Post a reply to this message

Am 16.07.2018 um 05:57 schrieb dick balaska:
> On 07/15/2018 10:06 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> Le_Forgeron's explanation is interesting and helpful.
>>
>> You're rant is not.
>>
>> :(
>
> As rants go, that was pretty mild.  Still, not as nice as clipka usually is.

I have a tendency to not be nice when people label some behaviour as a
POV-Ray bug when evidently it is not.

Post a reply to this message