POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 20th anniversary coming up. Server Time
9 May 2024 23:04:23 EDT (-0400)
  20th anniversary coming up. (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: 20th anniversary coming up.
Date: 16 Jul 2018 13:23:33
Message: <5b4cd495$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 02:52:56 +1000, Chris Cason wrote:

>  In the meantime though, for Linux users,
> provided the required OpenGL support is present it should work under
> Wine.

That's excellent news, Chris.  Thanks for this update!

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Jul 2018 01:27:33
Message: <5b4d7e45$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/07/2018 17:52, Chris Cason wrote:
> On 16/07/2018 01:13, Stephen wrote:
>> I have been working in IT since '69 and the thing I dislike most about
>> it is the "Don't tell the users anything and they should be grateful for
>> what we are willing to give them even if it is not what they really
>> want", attitude.
>
> The reason we didn't mention anything about it this time is that we've had several
false starts on this over the years and I didn't want to announce we were working on
it and then find a road-blocker that leaves everyone hanging. Hence I was waiting
until we actually had it working before saying anything.

Good on ya, mate

> The difference this time is Lutz is actively working on it which helps a lot (thanks
Lutz!:). It doesn't have direct integration with POV-Ray right now, but I will work on
that.

> I think then it's safe to say that it's 100% certain that we will re-release Moray
this year, at least for Windows.

Betterer and betterer

> As it's MFC-based porting it to other platforms is another target but will require a
rip-out and replace of the MFC side of things (probably to QT). This is not trivial as
there's several hundred dialogs that need to be replaced with native QT ones. In the
meantime though, for Linux users, provided the required OpenGL support is present it
should work under Wine.

> If/when we can get it ported to use a cross-platform widget library I suspect the
broader open-source community may be of assistance in improving it, particularly as it
can do STL editing.

Did you mean SDL?
Hmm, interesting whatever.

--