POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Origin of Yankee Server Time
9 May 2024 20:51:06 EDT (-0400)
  Origin of Yankee (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Origin of Yankee
Date: 7 Jul 2018 00:55:01
Message: <web.5b404749c2b82bdfa47873e10@news.povray.org>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee
>
> See "Rejected etymologies"

Like JimT, I had some kind of half-formed idea that "Yankee" was based on
American/Canadian Indian lore (or language.) In the "Rejected etymologies", I
atually like this explanation:
"Another theory surmised that the word was borrowed from the Wyandot [Indian]
pronunciation of the French l'anglais, meaning "the Englishman" or "the English
language", which was sounded as Y'an-gee."

If that has any basis in fact, then I imagine that the Wyandot used it in a
perjorative sense from the get-go-- before anyone else! There were some complex
and ugly historical interactions between The Wyandot (or Hurons), the Iroquois,
the French, and the English, in the 17th century. The English *apparently* used
the term first, but I wonder...

Post a reply to this message