POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Cassini Server Time
12 May 2024 18:45:05 EDT (-0400)
  RIP Cassini (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: clipka
Subject: RIP Cassini
Date: 15 Sep 2017 08:00:51
Message: <59bbc0f3$1@news.povray.org>
The Cassini space probe is officially no more.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: RIP Cassini
Date: 15 Sep 2017 14:25:14
Message: <59bc1b0a$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2017 13:00, clipka wrote:
> The Cassini space probe is officially no more.

Didn't it do well?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2017 14:57:14
Message: <59bc228a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.09.2017 um 20:25 schrieb Stephen:
> On 15/09/2017 13:00, clipka wrote:
>> The Cassini space probe is officially no more.
>>

> Didn't it do well?

I guess it did. Just ran out of gas, with no spare canister on board and
miles from the next gas station. So rather than risk it ending up
crashing into a potentially-inhabited moon with 40 kg of Pu238 and who
knows how many colonies of earth microbes on board, they decided to let
it burn up in Saturn's atmosphere.

Post a reply to this message

>>> The Cassini space probe is officially no more.
>>>

>> Didn't it do well?
>
> I guess it did. Just ran out of gas, with no spare canister on board and
> miles from the next gas station.

Em! Who forgot got to buy a fuel scoop, then?

> So rather than risk it ending up
> crashing into a potentially-inhabited moon with 40 kg of Pu238 and who
> knows how many colonies of earth microbes on board,

I hope not with all the trouble they go to to keep it sterile.

> they decided to let
> it burn up in Saturn's atmosphere.

That's the way to do it! ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> crashing into a potentially-inhabited moon with 40 kg of Pu238 and who
>> knows how many colonies of earth microbes on board,
>
> I hope not with all the trouble they go to to keep it sterile.

Even with all that trouble, they can't get space probes perfectly
sterile. And they know it.

Post a reply to this message