POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lost words Server Time
16 Jun 2024 08:05:34 EDT (-0400)
  Lost words (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Lost words
Date: 16 Sep 2017 06:34:47
Message: <59bcfe47$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/09/2017 07:52, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 16-9-2017 8:48, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> That will be where we get quack doctor from. I guess
>>>

>> I certainly think so. Curiosity taking the overhand, I looked the
>> origin up (Webster):
>>
>> obsolete Dutch (now kwakzalver); first known use: 1579.
>>

> Forgot to mention this, about /quack/: coming from /kwaken/ to croak.

The Kwaken Awakes? <groan>

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Sep 2017 14:50:00
Message: <web.59bd721cf1d769bf5cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> The Kwaken Awakes? <groan>
>
> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/50/04/75/5004751ec8784d69c736d9d490bb870d--roman-emperor-monty-python-life-of-brian.jpg

Post a reply to this message

From: Andrel
Date: 16 Sep 2017 15:26:17
Message: <59bd7ad9$1@news.povray.org>
On 16-09-17 08:48, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 15-9-2017 17:33, Stephen wrote:
>> On 15/09/2017 12:09, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>
>>> Quacksalver: That one is a common word in Dutch: Kwakzalver.
>>

>> That will be where we get quack doctor from. I guess
>>

> I certainly think so. Curiosity taking the overhand, I looked the origin
> up (Webster):
>
> obsolete Dutch (now kwakzalver); first known use: 1579.

Second part of the word means he who applies a liniment/ointment (dutch
word for that is 'zalf'. The change from f to v is common for this word
ending. A female quack would be a kwakzalfster. Though that word is
never used as far as I know.
Kwakzalver is absolutely not dead in the Netherlands
We have a society against quacks (http://www.kwakzalverij.nl/) that is
very vocal against people practicing alternative medicine in ways that
hurt and even kill patients. Directly or by not giving proven care.

Post a reply to this message