POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : u > w Server Time
17 May 2024 17:40:12 EDT (-0400)
  u > w (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: dick balaska
Subject: u > w
Date: 13 Aug 2017 01:55:58
Message: <598fe9ee$1@news.povray.org>
Hi kids,
I switched my desktop from Windows to Linux a couple of months ago [1].
I finally reconnected with the povray newsgroups.

I am thinking about taking a stab at a Qt editor for Linux.

I have abandoned povclipse2. It is just too slow for my use.  Granted,
my movie is on the very huge size of SDL, and I love editing in eclipse,
but it takes over a minute to reparse my project and I didn't want to
spend time optimizing and caching, because I still spent too much time
in povwin.  The bulk of my pov work is test renders of 100 frames @ 10
seconds per frame and java just isn't cut out for that.
I was going to start qt-pov when I was on Windows, but I couldn't get
qt-unix installed (it really wants a native-ish X screen driver, not
cygwin/X) and I didn't want to write a windows only thing.
Qt has toolkit trees and editors, so it should be easy to get a
barebones thing running.  The first step would be for me to get my
bsAniPic ported from Qt/Windows to Qt/Unix.

Cheers.

--
dik

[1] I got a 1TB ssd for my birthday.  After several failed attempts with
two different programs to clone my windows disk, I said fuck it, and
installed ubuntu.  I still need win8 for Quicken, so I can spin that up
in a vm window. Pretty slick.
I am bummed, I wanted to compare the speed of Windows on an ssd vs. hd,
but I'll suffer gracefully.