POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm back! Server Time
18 May 2024 06:44:15 EDT (-0400)
  I'm back! (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: I'm back!
Date: 16 Jun 2017 21:49:12
Message: <59448a98@news.povray.org>
Fan working, and battery charging!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'test_sotd.jpg' (29 KB)

Preview of image 'test_sotd.jpg'
test_sotd.jpg

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: I'm back!
Date: 17 Jun 2017 01:01:02
Message: <5944b78e$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 21:49:50 -0400, Cousin Ricky wrote:

> Fan working, and battery charging!

Excellent!  Welcome back. :)

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Jun 2017 03:14:49
Message: <5944d6e9@news.povray.org>
On 6/17/2017 2:49 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> Fan working, and battery charging!

Welcome back.
What turned out to be the problem?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 17 Jun 2017 12:25:23
Message: <594557f3$1@news.povray.org>
On 2017-06-17 03:14 AM (-4), Stephen wrote:
> On 6/17/2017 2:49 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> Fan working, and battery charging!
>
> Welcome back.
> What turned out to be the problem?

I discovered that OfficeMax had computer repairs.  The technician
basically hacked away at the stuck screws with a force that I surely
thought would have destroyed the computer.  One of the screws never did
come loose, but with some acrobatics and the flexibility of the plastic
components, he was able to get at the fan to replace it.

The fan in this model is like an automobile cylinder head.  You have to
take apart the whole damn computer to get at it!

Then when I got home, the battery mysteriously began charging again!  I
don't know why.  Perhaps the fan had been malfunctioning earlier than I
realized, and was interfering with the power feed?  I'm afraid to try
the old power cord again, because then I will know whether I wasted a
bunch of money buying new ones.

Post a reply to this message

On 6/17/2017 5:26 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 2017-06-17 03:14 AM (-4), Stephen wrote:
>> On 6/17/2017 2:49 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>>> Fan working, and battery charging!
>>
>> Welcome back.
>> What turned out to be the problem?
>
> I discovered that OfficeMax had computer repairs.  The technician
> basically hacked away at the stuck screws with a force that I surely
> thought would have destroyed the computer.  One of the screws never did
> come loose, but with some acrobatics and the flexibility of the plastic
> components, he was able to get at the fan to replace it.

Did he ask you to look away or go and get some coffee when he did it? :)
At least he did not have to drill it out.

> The fan in this model is like an automobile cylinder head.  You have to
> take apart the whole damn computer to get at it!

They are put together very cleverly really hard to get into. And design
the air flow through them. All worked out by Isaac Asimov's Multivac. :)

> Then when I got home, the battery mysteriously began charging again!  I
> don't know why.  Perhaps the fan had been malfunctioning earlier than I
> realized, and was interfering with the power feed?

When an electric motor or fan stalls it draws more current. So with
hindsight it's not surprising the battery would not charge.

> I'm afraid to try
> the old power cord again, because then I will know whether I wasted a
> bunch of money buying new ones.

Any chance of returning the new one if the old one works?
Anyway it is cheaper that buying a new laptop and you had to try it.

--

Regards
     Stephen