POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectral locus Server Time
1 Jun 2024 13:42:15 EDT (-0400)
  Spectral locus (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Spectral locus
Date: 12 Mar 2017 08:42:04
Message: <58c5421c$1@news.povray.org>
On Wikipedia it says, "In color spaces which include all, or most
spectral colors, they form a part of boundary of the set of all real
colors. If luminance is counted, then spectral colors form a surface,
otherwise their locus is a curve in a two-dimensional chromaticity space."

Is it acceptable to use the term "locus" to refer to a surface as well
as a curve? Or is does "locus" only refer to curves?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 3/12/2017 8:42 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On Wikipedia it says, "In color spaces which include all, or most
> spectral colors, they form a part of boundary of the set of all real
> colors. If luminance is counted, then spectral colors form a surface,
> otherwise their locus is a curve in a two-dimensional chromaticity space."
>
> Is it acceptable to use the term "locus" to refer to a surface as well
> as a curve? Or is does "locus" only refer to curves?
>

> Mike

Merriam-Webster says a locus is, "the set of all points whose location
is determined by stated conditions". It doesn't specify whether the term
refers only to curves and not to surfaces. Still not 100% sure though.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 3/12/2017 12:42 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On Wikipedia it says, "In color spaces which include all, or most
> spectral colors, they form a part of boundary of the set of all real
> colors. If luminance is counted, then spectral colors form a surface,
> otherwise their locus is a curve in a two-dimensional chromaticity space."
>
> Is it acceptable to use the term "locus" to refer to a surface as well
> as a curve? Or is does "locus" only refer to curves?

It is to me. ;)
 From this definition: a curve or other figure formed by all the points
satisfying a particular equation of the relation between coordinates, or
by a point, line, or surface moving according to mathematically defined
conditions.

A sphere fits that description. All points equidistant from the centre.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 3/12/2017 12:42 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On Wikipedia it says, "In color spaces which include all, or most
>> spectral colors, they form a part of boundary of the set of all real
>> colors. If luminance is counted, then spectral colors form a surface,
>> otherwise their locus is a curve in a two-dimensional chromaticity
>> space."
>>
>> Is it acceptable to use the term "locus" to refer to a surface as well
>> as a curve? Or is does "locus" only refer to curves?
>>

> It is to me. ;)
> From this definition: a curve or other figure formed by all the points
> satisfying a particular equation of the relation between coordinates, or
> by a point, line, or surface moving according to mathematically defined
> conditions.
>
> A sphere fits that description. All points equidistant from the centre.

Okay thanks.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 3/12/2017 1:22 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 3/12/2017 9:00 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 3/12/2017 12:42 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> On Wikipedia it says, "In color spaces which include all, or most
>>> spectral colors, they form a part of boundary of the set of all real
>>> colors. If luminance is counted, then spectral colors form a surface,
>>> otherwise their locus is a curve in a two-dimensional chromaticity
>>> space."
>>>
>>> Is it acceptable to use the term "locus" to refer to a surface as well
>>> as a curve? Or is does "locus" only refer to curves?
>>>

>> It is to me. ;)
>> From this definition: a curve or other figure formed by all the points
>> satisfying a particular equation of the relation between coordinates, or
>> by a point, line, or surface moving according to mathematically defined
>> conditions.
>>
>> A sphere fits that description. All points equidistant from the centre.
>>

> Okay thanks.

But remember that I have to take my socks off to count past 10. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 3/12/2017 1:22 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:

> >> It is to me. ;)
> >> From this definition: a curve or other figure formed by all the points
> >> satisfying a particular equation of the relation between coordinates, or
> >> by a point, line, or surface moving according to mathematically defined
> >> conditions.
> >>
> >> A sphere fits that description. All points equidistant from the centre.
> >>

> > Okay thanks.
> >

> But remember that I have to take my socks off to count past 10. :)
>

> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

:-D !