POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectral locus Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:52:53 EDT (-0400)
  Spectral locus (Message 16 to 25 of 25)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Spectral locus
Date: 13 Mar 2017 20:00:02
Message: <58c73282$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/13/2017 5:19 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 13.03.2017 um 20:12 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>
>>> "This data set gives wavelengths every 1.0 nm, along with the associated
>>> CIE xyz values for the spectral locus of the 1931 CIE chromaticity
>>> diagram. They are called xyz values here as they are called that in the
>>> original source, but they are also known as xyY or XYZ values."
>> I'm also assuming the data set will produce a 3D shape. Is that right?
>
> Not really.
>
> What the data set will give you (if you connect the dots) is a line in
> 2D space, namely the famous CIE "horseshoe".
>
> To get a 3D shape from that, you'll first have to identify what you
> really want to plot.
>
> For example, the entire CIExyY colour space would be just an extrusion
> of that horseshoe along the Y axis, stretching to positive infinity, as
> there is no theoretical limit on brightness (for practical purposes at
> any rate): The extruded horseshoe itself would represent the locus of
> all theoretically possible monochromatic colours (i.e. colours comprised
> of only a single wavelength of light), while the volume it encompasses
> would represent the locus of all theoretically possible polychromatic
> colours.
>

> On the other hand, the locus of all theoretially possible pigment
> colours as illuminated by a particular light source is a much more
> complex construct, and creating its shape requires some smart ideas, as
> the volume of that shape is effectively a projection from
> infinite-dimensional space (each dimension corresponding to the
> pigment's reflectivity at a particular wavelength) to 3-dimensional
> CIExyY space.
>
> That locus may even differ between light sources with identical CIExyY
> whitepoint coordinates, as it depends on the spectrum of the light
> source, and different spectra may still result in identical CIExyY
> coordinates (see "metamerism").
>
> This is precisely the project for which I did a series of animations a
> while ago.

Are things as simple as using these formulas?

http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?Eqn_Spect_to_XYZ.html

I forgot how to do calculus integrals and sums, but if I'm on the right
track I can try to re-learn.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: dick balaska
Date: 13 Mar 2017 23:06:53
Message: <58c75e4d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2017-03-13 12:30, also sprach clipka:
> Am 13.03.2017 um 11:17 schrieb Mr:
>
>>> But remember that I have to take my socks off to count past 10. :)
>>
>> :-D !
>> I thought POVers used only binary ?
>
> Why, no, of course they don't. POV-Ray only deals in floating-point
> numbers, not binary integers ;)

That's right. Even boolean is 64 bits and has a mantissa!
true == 3ff0 0000 0000 0000
:)

--
dik

Post a reply to this message

Am 14.03.2017 um 01:00 schrieb Mike Horvath:

>> On the other hand, the locus of all theoretially possible pigment
>> colours as illuminated by a particular light source is a much more
>> complex construct, and creating its shape requires some smart ideas, as
>> the volume of that shape is effectively a projection from
>> infinite-dimensional space (each dimension corresponding to the
>> pigment's reflectivity at a particular wavelength) to 3-dimensional
>> CIExyY space.
>>
>> That locus may even differ between light sources with identical CIExyY
>> whitepoint coordinates, as it depends on the spectrum of the light
>> source, and different spectra may still result in identical CIExyY
>> coordinates (see "metamerism").
>>
>> This is precisely the project for which I did a series of animations a
>> while ago.
>>

> Are things as simple as using these formulas?
>
> http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?Eqn_Spect_to_XYZ.html
>
> I forgot how to do calculus integrals and sums, but if I'm on the right
> track I can try to re-learn.

As the page already mentions, in practice you'll be doing sums rather
than integrals.

For an equal-energy(*) light source (emitting all wavelengths at the
same intensity), the "compute CIE XYZ coordinates for this particular
spectrum" is indeed that simple.

(* Actually, "equal-power" would be a more fitting term, but
"equal-energy" has stuck.)

For any other light source, the terms in the sum get just a little more
complicated, as you have to multiply them with a factor representing the
light source's emissive power at that corresponding wavelength.

Remember to convert from XYZ to xyY afterwards, using x=X/(X+Y+Z),
y=Y/(X+Y+Z).

The tricky part, at least for me, was to figure out what spectra would
end up on the surface of the resulting shape, and how to connect them
into a mesh.

Post a reply to this message