POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr John Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Dr John (Message 31 to 40 of 50)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Dr John
Date: 7 Dec 2016 03:35:35
Message: <5847c9d7$1@news.povray.org>
On 7-12-2016 9:32, scott wrote:

>>> From wikipedia:
>>>
>>> "The apparent aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent""
>>>
>>> Sounds trivially easy to me :-)
>>>

>> Really?
>
> Mornington Crescent
>
> Do I win?

No. You just ignored the Rules. So you are out.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Dec 2016 04:00:12
Message: <5847cf9c$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/7/2016 8:32 AM, scott wrote:

>>> From wikipedia:
>>>
>>> "The apparent aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent""
>>>
>>> Sounds trivially easy to me :-)
>>>

>> Really?
>
> Mornington Crescent
>
> Do I win?

No.
You have to start first and that involves declaring which rule set and
variations you are using.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Dec 2016 04:06:13
Message: <5847d105@news.povray.org>
On 12/7/2016 8:32 AM, scott wrote:
>>> "The apparent aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent""
>>>
>>> Sounds trivially easy to me :-)
>>
>> "apparent" being the key word there. ;)
>>
>> In order to be the first to announce it, you have to follow the rules,
>> many of which appear to be open to interpretation.
>
> Do the rules reset at the beginning of each game, or are they carried over?

Depends.
If you are using the 1859 Cambridge (Christ's College variations) in
conjunction with lots of Fellowships. The rules may and do evolve. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> You have to start first and that involves declaring which rule set and
> variations you are using.

Is there a list somewhere? Or do I just make something up?

Post a reply to this message

>> You have to start first and that involves declaring which rule set and
>> variations you are using.
>
> Is there a list somewhere? Or do I just make something up?

Oh <sharp intake of breath>

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 09:06:08 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> "apparent" being the key word there. ;)
>>>
>>> In order to be the first to announce it, you have to follow the rules,
>>> many of which appear to be open to interpretation.
>>
>> Do the rules reset at the beginning of each game, or are they carried
>> over?
>>

> Depends.
> If you are using the 1859 Cambridge (Christ's College variations) in
> conjunction with lots of Fellowships. The rules may and do evolve. ;)

Well, only on every third Wednesday, holidays excluded.

On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 08:32:15 +0000, scott wrote:

>>> From wikipedia:
>>>
>>> "The apparent aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington
>>> Crescent""
>>>
>>> Sounds trivially easy to me :-)
>>>

>> Really?
>
> Mornington Crescent
>
> Do I win?

That depends.  Did you remember to initialize the system?

On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 12:37:35 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> No.
>>> You have to start first and that involves declaring which rule set and
>>> variations you are using.
>>
>> Is there a list somewhere? Or do I just make something up?
>>

> Oh <sharp intake of breath>

Well, we all were new to the game once. :)

On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 11:45:57 -0500, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Is there a list somewhere? Or do I just make something up?
>>>

>> Oh <sharp intake of breath>
>
> Well, we all were new to the game once. :)

Perhaps, Stephen, you should start a game - as a veteran of the genre -
to show the new guys how it's done. :)

On 12/7/2016 4:45 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Do the rules reset at the beginning of each game, or are they carried
>>> over?
>>>

>> Depends.
>> If you are using the 1859 Cambridge (Christ's College variations) in
>> conjunction with lots of Fellowships. The rules may and do evolve. ;)
>
> Well, only on every third Wednesday, holidays excluded.

True but at the time it was Wednesday in Hawaii and to the west.

--

Regards
     Stephen