POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Forlorn Hope wins a battle Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  The Forlorn Hope wins a battle (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Doctor John
Subject: The Forlorn Hope wins a battle
Date: 13 Aug 2016 10:23:43
Message: <57af2d6f@news.povray.org>
... but the war's not over.

I am officially in remission :-D Yesterday, I met with probably the best
Stem Cell Transplant consultant in Britain* (every medical person I've
met sings his praises). After the usual verbal sparring (designed so
that he could measure my mental and emotional state) we got down to
business.

His opening statement was "You're in remission, so ...". I managed to
keep myself from bouncing off the ceiling - I knew that what he was
going to say next was important. My choices boiled down to:
	1. Carry on with the regime I'm currently on.
	2. Go for an Autologous Stem Cell Transplant
	3. Go for an Allogeneic SCT from a relation
	4. Go for an Unrelated Allogeneic SCT

The prognoses for each choice were:
	1. You will relapse and probably (80%) be dead within 2 years.
	2. As above but this time 5 years. No risk of GvHD**
	3. GvHD raises it's ugly head. 15% mortality***. But 10 years#
	4. Again as above but up to 20% mortality. However, who knows##

I've rejected 1 and 2 out of hand, but any input about 3 and 4?

* Dr Robert Marcus of King's College Hospital, London
** Graft versus Host Disease - a real killer
*** That is within 1 year from GvHD or associated infections
# Now we're heading for a cure.
## Not enough data, but it looks promising

John (now in possession of Sgt Harper's 7-barrel volley gun)
--
It's not about bravery.
It's about doing what I need to do to win

Post a reply to this message

On 8/13/2016 3:23 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> I've rejected 1 and 2 out of hand, but any input about 3 and 4?

Firstly, well done. :D
The drinks are on you. :)

For point #3. How evil were you to your siblings when you were young?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 8/13/2016 3:23 PM, Doctor John wrote:
>> I've rejected 1 and 2 out of hand, but any input about 3 and 4?
>
> Firstly, well done. :D
> The drinks are on you. :)

Oops! Seem to have forgotten my wallet :-)

> For point #3. How evil were you to your siblings when you were young?

Me? Evil? No more than than the usual inter-sibling rivalry but with
serious battlefield weapons.

John

On 8/13/2016 3:58 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> On 13/08/16 15:48, Stephen wrote:
>> On 8/13/2016 3:23 PM, Doctor John wrote:
>>> I've rejected 1 and 2 out of hand, but any input about 3 and 4?
>>
>> Firstly, well done. :D
>> The drinks are on you. :)
>>

> Oops! Seem to have forgotten my wallet :-)

Again?

I'll lend you a bullseye at the usual rate. :)

>> For point #3. How evil were you to your siblings when you were young?
>>

> Me? Evil? No more than than the usual inter-sibling rivalry but with
> serious battlefield weapons.

Prey that their memories are no better/worse than yours. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On 8/13/2016 10:23 AM, Doctor John wrote:
> I've rejected 1 and 2 out of hand, but any input about 3 and 4?

well they say that attitude is most of it and i'd say you've qualified
... as for what's up next i'm thinking on the same lines as Stephen (#3)
... attitude and genetics sounds like a potent arsenal to me

Post a reply to this message

On 8/13/2016 8:08 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 8/13/2016 10:23 AM, Doctor John wrote:
>> I've rejected 1 and 2 out of hand, but any input about 3 and 4?
>
> well they say that attitude is most of it and i'd say you've qualified
> .... as for what's up next i'm thinking on the same lines as Stephen
> (#3) .... attitude and genetics sounds like a potent arsenal to me

He certainly has an attitude. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Am 13.08.2016 um 16:23 schrieb Doctor John:

> I am officially in remission :-D

Congratulations about that!

> I've rejected 1 and 2 out of hand, but any input about 3 and 4?

Can't give any recommendation, except for the obvious: Choose the best
one ;)

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 15:23:42 +0100, Doctor John wrote:

> ... but the war's not over.
>
> I am officially in remission :-D Yesterday, I met with probably the best
> Stem Cell Transplant consultant in Britain* (every medical person I've
> met sings his praises). After the usual verbal sparring (designed so
> that he could measure my mental and emotional state) we got down to
> business.
>
> His opening statement was "You're in remission, so ...". I managed to
> keep myself from bouncing off the ceiling - I knew that what he was
> going to say next was important. My choices boiled down to:
> 	1. Carry on with the regime I'm currently on.
> 	2. Go for an Autologous Stem Cell Transplant 3. Go for an
Allogeneic
> 	SCT from a relation 4. Go for an Unrelated Allogeneic SCT
>
> The prognoses for each choice were:
> 	1. You will relapse and probably (80%) be dead within 2 years. 2.
As
> 	above but this time 5 years. No risk of GvHD**
> 	3. GvHD raises it's ugly head. 15% mortality***. But 10 years# 4.
Again
> 	as above but up to 20% mortality. However, who knows##
>
> I've rejected 1 and 2 out of hand, but any input about 3 and 4?
>

> * Dr Robert Marcus of King's College Hospital, London ** Graft versus
> Host Disease - a real killer *** That is within 1 year from GvHD or
> associated infections # Now we're heading for a cure.
> ## Not enough data, but it looks promising
>

> John (now in possession of Sgt Harper's 7-barrel volley gun)

That is *EXCELLENT* news!  Very pleased to hear this.

Jim

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 15:08:08 -0400, Jim Holsenback wrote:

> On 8/13/2016 10:23 AM, Doctor John wrote:
>> I've rejected 1 and 2 out of hand, but any input about 3 and 4?
>
> well they say that attitude is most of it and i'd say you've qualified
> ... as for what's up next i'm thinking on the same lines as Stephen (#3)
> ... attitude and genetics sounds like a potent arsenal to me

In my entirely non-medical opinion, option 3 certainly *seems* like it's
got the best potential.  But I know very little about medicine. :)

Jim