POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "5th grade" math test Server Time
28 Jul 2024 00:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  "5th grade" math test (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: "5th grade" math test
Date: 29 Jun 2016 00:45:01
Message: <web.577351c54d96ed26fd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JQeOJ2iK0w

It's seven questions, most of which should be easy for anybody here.  I got one
question wrong, for whatever reason, even though I knew what they were asking
for.

Leaving aside the fact that I find some of the subject matter odd for fifth
graders, I find their standards rather high since they consider anything less
than six correct answers a "Failing" grade.  That means that their pass/fail
mark is almost 86%.

Does that seem unreasonable to anyone else, or is it just me?

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

On 6/29/2016 5:42 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JQeOJ2iK0w
>
> It's seven questions, most of which should be easy for anybody here.  I got one
> question wrong, for whatever reason, even though I knew what they were asking
> for.
>
> Leaving aside the fact that I find some of the subject matter odd for fifth
> graders, I find their standards rather high since they consider anything less
> than six correct answers a "Failing" grade.  That means that their pass/fail
> mark is almost 86%.
>
> Does that seem unreasonable to anyone else, or is it just me?

Fifth grade, that's 10/11 year olds, yes?

I think the person who put that together is talking through their hat.

I know that I am going back a bit but I am sure indices were not taught
until a couple years later.

I think the questions and pass mark are unreasonable for a general test
for that age group.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 6/29/2016 5:42 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>> I got one question wrong, for whatever reason, even though I knew what
>> they were asking for.

Right. That's you moved back a couple of grades until you learn to
listen properly and stop playing with that Povray thing on your computer

>> Leaving aside the fact that I find some of the subject matter odd for
>> fifth graders, I find their standards rather high
<snip>
>> Does that seem unreasonable to anyone else, or is it just me?

Well, it was set in Singapore - a city state well known for its high
academic standards

<snip>
> I know that I am going back a bit but I am sure indices were not taught
> until a couple years later.

I can't speak for the state system here in the UK (I was privately
educated) but I certainly wouldn't have had any problem with the test.
By the time I was twelve, we were beginning to grapple with differential
calculus.

> I think the questions and pass mark are unreasonable for a general test
> for that age group.

I certainly agree about the pass mark. I would go for ~70%

John
--
It's not about bravery.
It's about doing what I need to do to win