POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux: best way to communicate between processes? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:42:56 EDT (-0400)
  Linux: best way to communicate between processes? (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Linux: best way to communicate between processes?
Date: 19 May 2016 04:49:11
Message: <573d7e07$1@news.povray.org>
> I recently read about a similar firmware bug in a security camera. It
> reboots itself every night at midnight.
>
> I can't *imagine* how a security camera temporarily turning itself off
> at a predictable moment every single night could *possibly* be a
> problem... :-P

You just need to buy their other camera, which reboots at 2am, and run
both next to each other :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 May 2016 13:35:02
Message: <573df946$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/05/2016 09:49 AM, scott wrote:
>> I recently read about a similar firmware bug in a security camera. It
>> reboots itself every night at midnight.
>>
>> I can't *imagine* how a security camera temporarily turning itself off
>> at a predictable moment every single night could *possibly* be a
>> problem... :-P
>
> You just need to buy their other camera, which reboots at 2am, and run
> both next to each other :-)

To be fair, the main point of the article in question was that the
password to the camera's wire protocol was "12345". Hard-coded in
firmware. Cannot change it. Both the camera and the control terminal
have this hard-wired in firmware.

Then again, it was a dirt-cheap Chinese import.

(Presumably there are high-quality Chinese items somewhere... these are
not the ones I'm talking about.)