POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ffmpeg and normalizing audio volume Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:53:38 EDT (-0400)
  ffmpeg and normalizing audio volume (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Doctor John
Subject: ffmpeg and normalizing audio volume
Date: 7 May 2016 08:14:27
Message: <572ddc23$1@news.povray.org>
I've got approximately 40 GB of music files sitting on one of my boxes;
all under the top directory of ~/Music but then split into many other
sub-directories (as well as sub-sub-directories etc). Unfortunately,
since I got them from several sources, their relative volumes are all
over the place. If I play, for instance, Joan Osborne's 'One of Us' at a
reasonable volume and then follow it with The Stranglers' 'Always the
Sun', I get blown out of my chair by the sheer air pressure emanating
from my sub-woofer. I therefore need to normalize all my files - a mixed
bag of mp3s, oggs and flacs.
The slow way of doing it is to detect the maximum volume of each file
with 'ffmpeg -i example.mp3 -af "volumedetect" -f null /dev/null', note
the maximum volume (e.g. -10 dB) and then correct it with 'ffmpeg -i
example.mp3 -af "volume=10dB" example.mp3'.
Can anyone familiar with ffmpeg think of a way of scripting this so that
I don't have to manually re-encode every individual file?

BTW I'm using bash on a linux box.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

> ... I therefore need to normalize all my files - a mixed
> bag of mp3s, oggs and flacs.
> The slow way of doing it is to detect the maximum volume of each file
> with 'ffmpeg -i example.mp3 -af "volumedetect" -f null /dev/null', note

using ffmpeg v 0.8.7 here, get message "Unrecognised option 'af'".

> the maximum volume (e.g. -10 dB) and then correct it with 'ffmpeg -i
> example.mp3 -af "volume=10dB" example.mp3'.
> Can anyone familiar with ffmpeg think of a way of scripting this so that
> I don't have to manually re-encode every individual file?
>
> BTW I'm using bash on a linux box.

I'm not familiar with 'ffmpeg' (I use 'lame' for recoding mp3s) and
don't know the exact format of the "volume" line you get from volumedetect.

however, I'd opt for a two-stage approach: (i) write a shell script
which processes a single file named on its command-line, (ii) use the
'find' utility to process all (named) files, eg, if your shell script is
~/mycmd:

  $ find ~/Music -type f -name \*.mp3 -exec ~/mycmd {} \;

the backslashes are necessary; find also supports a this-filename -or
that-filename syntax but requires backslach escapes all over the place.

jr.

Post a reply to this message

>> The slow way of doing it is to detect the maximum volume of each file
>> with 'ffmpeg -i example.mp3 -af "volumedetect" -f null /dev/null', note
>
> using ffmpeg v 0.8.7 here, get message "Unrecognised option 'af'".

Time to update, methinks. I'm using version 3.0.1

> I'm not familiar with 'ffmpeg' (I use 'lame' for recoding mp3s) and
> don't know the exact format of the "volume" line you get from volumedetect.

Last half of console stream, the line you want is the penultimate one:

Output #0, null, to '/dev/null':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : Lavf57.25.100
    Stream #0:0: Audio: pcm_s16le, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 1411 kb/s
    Metadata:
      TITLE           : Always The Sun
      ARTIST          : The Stranglers
      ALBUM           : Unknown Disc
      encoder         : Lavc57.24.102 pcm_s16le
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (vorbis (native) -> pcm_s16le (native))
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
size=N/A time=00:04:05.16 bitrate=N/A speed= 371x
video:0kB audio:42234kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global
headers:0kB muxing overhead: unknown
[Parsed_volumedetect_0 @ 0x1fb3580] n_samples: 21623936
[Parsed_volumedetect_0 @ 0x1fb3580] mean_volume: -13.1 dB
[Parsed_volumedetect_0 @ 0x1fb3580] max_volume: 0.0 dB
[Parsed_volumedetect_0 @ 0x1fb3580] histogram_0db: 30166

> however, I'd opt for a two-stage approach: (i) write a shell script
> which processes a single file named on its command-line, (ii) use the
> 'find' utility to process all (named) files, eg, if your shell script is
> ~/mycmd:
>
>   $ find ~/Music -type f -name \*.mp3 -exec ~/mycmd {} \;
>
> the backslashes are necessary; find also supports a this-filename -or
> that-filename syntax but requires backslach escapes all over the place.

So, as I understand it and assuming I want to process all mp3s, oggs and
flacs together, I need to 'find' each music file then use 'grep' to
strip out the max_volume numbers, invert those and put the resulting
number into  'ffmpeg -i [filename] -af "volume=[whatever]dB" [filename]'.

Of course my real problem is that I usually bugger up any script
requiring the use of regexes.

Thanks for taking the time to think about the process

John

--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents
You hold it in trust for your children

Post a reply to this message

> Of course my real problem is that I usually bugger up any script
> requiring the use of regexes.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to think about the process
>
> John

Just came across this script. A bit of thought might produce something I
can work with.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents
You hold it in trust for your children

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ffmpeg_normalize.sh.txt' (3 KB)