POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Matter of Political Incorrectness Server Time
5 Jul 2024 05:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  A Matter of Political Incorrectness (Message 21 to 30 of 82)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A Matter of Political Incorrectness
Date: 25 Feb 2016 20:29:47
Message: <56cfaa8b$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 14:27:47 +0000, scott wrote:

>>> That's easy to solve, you walk round the block, buy a gun, then go
>>> back and ask again for a drink :-)
>>>

>> hem... don't need the same ID to buy a gun? ;-)
>
> Nope, no mention in 2nd amendment about requiring photo ID to buy a gun
> ;-) Seriously though, it seems in Utah to buy from a "dealer" they need
> to run a criminal background check (which I assume means they'll want to
> see ID?), but private sales are legal and subject to no such
> requirement, so it shouldn't be too hard to come into possession of a
> gun without ID.

Heh, that's certainly true.

Jim

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Feb 2016 02:46:03
Message: <56d002bb$1@news.povray.org>
On 26-2-2016 2:29, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> hem... don't need the same ID to buy a gun? ;-)
>>
>> Nope, no mention in 2nd amendment about requiring photo ID to buy a gun
>> ;-) Seriously though, it seems in Utah to buy from a "dealer" they need
>> to run a criminal background check (which I assume means they'll want to
>> see ID?), but private sales are legal and subject to no such
>> requirement, so it shouldn't be too hard to come into possession of a
>> gun without ID.
>
> Heh, that's certainly true.

So, you have the interesting situation where it is easier to buy a gun
than a bottle of booze; where there is a policeman standing inside the
booze store but not in the gun store...

Weird country. Maybe a topic for the brothers Coen.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> So, you have the interesting situation where it is easier to buy a gun
> than a bottle of booze; where there is a policeman standing inside the
> booze store but not in the gun store...

That was the original point I was trying to make - maybe it didn't come
across too well ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> So, you have the interesting situation where it is easier to buy a gun
>> than a bottle of booze; where there is a policeman standing inside the
>> booze store but not in the gun store...
>
> That was the original point I was trying to make - maybe it didn't come
> across too well ;-)

I needed a bit of booze to get the point and then I needed a gun to get
the booze and so I ran up against the policeman who tazered me and I
just woke up in a padded place with a door without a door handle and
bars in front of the small window.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

>>> In Utah, I remember there being an issue with someone from outside the
>>> US (maybe it was someone from the UK) trying to buy alcohol with their
>>> regular ID - which didn't include a photo.  Utah requires (or at least
>>> required at one time) a photo ID for purchase.
>>
>> That's easy to solve, you walk round the block, buy a gun, then go back
>> and ask again for a drink :-)
>
> The liquor stores in Utah typically have a police officer on duty.

Crazy.

Post a reply to this message

On 2/26/2016 8:00 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I needed a bit of booze to get the point and then I needed a gun to get
> the booze and so I ran up against the policeman who tazered me and I
> just woke up in a padded place with a door without a door handle and
> bars in front of the small window.

Ah! The days of our youth. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> I needed a bit of booze to get the point and then I needed a gun to get
>> the booze and so I ran up against the policeman who tazered me and I
>> just woke up in a padded place with a door without a door handle and
>> bars in front of the small window.
>

> Ah! The days of our youth. ;-)

Yeah... climbing up along drain pipes because the key was lost... :-)

or

getting kicked out of a police station because we wanted to stay
inside... (I swear to the truth of this story) ;-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 26 Feb 2016 14:50:03
Message: <56d0ac6b$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/25/2016 2:00 AM, Sherry K. Shaw wrote:
> Shortly after my 30th birthday, I stopped off at a liquor store on the
> way home from work to pick up six-pack of something fermented.  The
> little pimply-faced ferret behind the counter immediately demanded my ID.
>
> I was absolutely tickled spitless.  I was giggling and grinning as I
> pulled out my driver's license and handed it over.
>
> "Thank you," I said, in the sexiest voice I could manage (given his
> complexion).  "You've made my day."
>
> "Well," he snarled snarkily, "we have to card EVERYBODY."
>
> There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the little pimply-faced
> ferret is STILL a virgin.
>
> --Sherry Shaw

You really do have to card everyone, though.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: dick balaska
Date: 26 Feb 2016 21:52:44
Message: <56d10f7c@news.povray.org>
On 2/26/2016 2:50 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:

> You really do have to card everyone, though.

Now, yes.  30 years ago, no.  I've been carded more in my 50s than I
ever was in my 20s.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Mar 2016 20:17:41
Message: <56df79b5@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 08:45:54 +0100, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> Nope, no mention in 2nd amendment about requiring photo ID to buy a
>>> gun ;-) Seriously though, it seems in Utah to buy from a "dealer" they
>>> need to run a criminal background check (which I assume means they'll
>>> want to see ID?), but private sales are legal and subject to no such
>>> requirement, so it shouldn't be too hard to come into possession of a
>>> gun without ID.
>>
>> Heh, that's certainly true.
>>

> So, you have the interesting situation where it is easier to buy a gun
> than a bottle of booze; where there is a policeman standing inside the
> booze store but not in the gun store...
>
> Weird country. Maybe a topic for the brothers Coen.

Yep.

But here where I live, weed is also legal, so I suspect we don't have
high crime.  Or maybe we do, depending on the meaning of 'high' you
apply. ;)

Jim