POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thunderbird file attachments Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:28:55 EDT (-0400)
  Thunderbird file attachments (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Thunderbird file attachments
Date: 7 Feb 2016 18:05:50
Message: <56b7cdce$1@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to get Thunderbird to reliably show the little paperclip
next to newsgroup messages? It seems to only do this for the first post
in a thread, and only after you view the post instead of before.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 08.02.2016 um 00:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Is there a way to get Thunderbird to reliably show the little paperclip
> next to newsgroup messages? It seems to only do this for the first post
> in a thread, and only after you view the post instead of before.

It seems to reliably show paperclips here.

It can /never/ do this before you have viewed the post though, because
technically newsgroup attachments are just specially marked parts of the
message body; there is no (reliable) way to tell from the header only
whether a post has attachments.

Note that in newsgroups, the message body is only downloaded as soon as
you view the post.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 08.02.2016 um 00:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> Is there a way to get Thunderbird to reliably show the little paperclip
>> next to newsgroup messages? It seems to only do this for the first post
>> in a thread, and only after you view the post instead of before.
>
> It seems to reliably show paperclips here.
>
> It can /never/ do this before you have viewed the post though, because
> technically newsgroup attachments are just specially marked parts of the
> message body; there is no (reliable) way to tell from the header only
> whether a post has attachments.
>
> Note that in newsgroups, the message body is only downloaded as soon as
> you view the post.

For me, they do not show up in replies, even after viewing the post. It
is kind of irritating since I can't tell for sure when someone replies
with another image.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

>> Am 08.02.2016 um 00:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> Is there a way to get Thunderbird to reliably show the little paperclip
>>> next to newsgroup messages? It seems to only do this for the first post
>>> in a thread, and only after you view the post instead of before.
>>
>> It seems to reliably show paperclips here.
>>
>> It can /never/ do this before you have viewed the post though, because
>> technically newsgroup attachments are just specially marked parts of the
>> message body; there is no (reliable) way to tell from the header only
>> whether a post has attachments.
>>
>> Note that in newsgroups, the message body is only downloaded as soon as
>> you view the post.
>>

> For me, they do not show up in replies, even after viewing the post. It
> is kind of irritating since I can't tell for sure when someone replies
> with another image.

It is strange. For me they show up correctly, also for replies.

--
Thomas