POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I am not Steeleye Span Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:54:07 EDT (-0400)
  I am not Steeleye Span (Message 17 to 26 of 26)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: I am not Steeleye Span
Date: 18 Dec 2015 03:44:05
Message: <5673c755$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/18/2015 8:15 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
> in Munich?

Don't get him started on what is beer or what is beer worthy of the
name. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Dec 2015 04:05:40
Message: <5673cc64$1@news.povray.org>
On 18-12-2015 9:43, Stephen wrote:
>> What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
>> in Munich?
>
> Don't get him started on what is beer or what is beer worthy of the
> name. :-)

My world view has been shaken to the core. Bavaria the Beer Walhalla of
the world. All my certainties have been shattered! I am wandering, lost,
in darkness :-O

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Dec 2015 04:51:23
Message: <5673d71b$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/18/2015 9:05 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 18-12-2015 9:43, Stephen wrote:
>> On 12/18/2015 8:15 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
>>> in Munich?
>>
>> Don't get him started on what is beer or what is beer worthy of the
>> name. :-)
>>

> My world view has been shaken to the core. Bavaria the Beer Walhalla of
> the world. All my certainties have been shattered! I am wandering, lost,
> in darkness :-O

We could be getting into a "Top Vs Bottom" fermentation flame war with this.

Would you believe that my first try at brewing beer. I spread the yeast
on a slice of toast and floated it on top of the wort.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 18 Dec 2015 12:34:16
Message: <56744398$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.12.2015 um 09:15 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 18-12-2015 4:20, clipka wrote:
>> Am 17.12.2015 um 19:35 schrieb Stephen:
>>
>>> BTW Is Bavaria not part of Germany or is that some parochial prejudiced
>>> creeping in?
>>
>> Not part of Germany, no.
>>
>> Part of our Federal Republic, yes. Sneaked their way in, somehow. Still
>> have their own consitution, which they've just put on hold for as long
>> as they happen to claim that Bavaria be part of the Federal Republic of
>> Germany.
>>
>> Entirely different culture. Heck, they don't even drink beer. Entirely
>> different language, too. They've tried to introduce German, but they
>> just can't seem to learn it. Austrians in disguise, is what they are.
>> The front yard of the Balkans.
>>
>> Don't get me started on Bavarians...
>>
>> ... What? Prejudiced? Me? Never!
>>
>> (... shuffles off, ranting on...)
>>

> What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
> in Munich?

Three fellow students -- one originally from Munich, one originally from
Cologne, and one originally from Dortmund -- visit a bar. The guy from
Munich orders a "Weizen" (the stuff the Bavarians down from 0.5 to 1.0
liter tankards), the guy from Cologne orders a "Kölsch" (the stuff that
people from Cologne and vicinity sip from 0.2 liter cylindrical glasses).

The guy from Dortmund orders a Coke.

Puzzled, the other two ask him why he doesn't order a "Pils" (the stuff
people in the Ruhr area drink from 0.3 or 0.33 liter stemmed glasses).

"Naah," he declines with a gesture of generosity. "If you won't have a
beer, neither will I."

Now, what do we learn from the story?
That the students are probably immatriculated at the university of
Cologne, as Kölsch isn't widely available outside its region of origin.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Dec 2015 14:05:43
Message: <56745907$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/18/2015 5:34 PM, clipka wrote:
> Now, what do we learn from the story?
> That the students are probably immatriculated at the university of
> Cologne, as Kölsch isn't widely available outside its region of origin.

"im feuerstrom der reben" it is not.

All this bile over cat's pee.
If you must drink a gallon or the equivalent, in real money. Make it
Guinness or a pint of heavy.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Dec 2015 03:11:44
Message: <56751140$1@news.povray.org>
On 18-12-2015 18:34, clipka wrote:
> Am 18.12.2015 um 09:15 schrieb Thomas de Groot:

>>> Not part of Germany, no.
>>>
>>> Part of our Federal Republic, yes. Sneaked their way in, somehow. Still
>>> have their own consitution, which they've just put on hold for as long
>>> as they happen to claim that Bavaria be part of the Federal Republic of
>>> Germany.
>>>
>>> Entirely different culture. Heck, they don't even drink beer. Entirely
>>> different language, too. They've tried to introduce German, but they
>>> just can't seem to learn it. Austrians in disguise, is what they are.
>>> The front yard of the Balkans.
>>>
>>> Don't get me started on Bavarians...
>>>
>>> ... What? Prejudiced? Me? Never!
>>>
>>> (... shuffles off, ranting on...)
>>>

>> What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
>> in Munich?
>

> Three fellow students -- one originally from Munich, one originally from
> Cologne, and one originally from Dortmund -- visit a bar. The guy from
> Munich orders a "Weizen" (the stuff the Bavarians down from 0.5 to 1.0
> liter tankards), the guy from Cologne orders a "Kölsch" (the stuff that
> people from Cologne and vicinity sip from 0.2 liter cylindrical glasses).
>
> The guy from Dortmund orders a Coke.
>
> Puzzled, the other two ask him why he doesn't order a "Pils" (the stuff
> people in the Ruhr area drink from 0.3 or 0.33 liter stemmed glasses).
>
> "Naah," he declines with a gesture of generosity. "If you won't have a
> beer, neither will I."
>

> Now, what do we learn from the story?
> That the students are probably immatriculated at the university of
> Cologne, as Kölsch isn't widely available outside its region of origin.

I love this! I learned something today, thanks!

Note: I am not a beer (general term) drinker so this was new to me ;-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 21 Dec 2015 03:25:58
Message: <5677b796@news.povray.org>
> Three fellow students -- one originally from Munich, one originally from
> Cologne, and one originally from Dortmund -- visit a bar. The guy from
> Munich orders a "Weizen" (the stuff the Bavarians down from 0.5 to 1.0
> liter tankards),

Weizen comes in the tall 0.5L glasses, the tankards are for a Helles. I
don't think I ever saw anyone drinking a 1.0L weizen.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 21 Dec 2015 04:52:41
Message: <5677cbe9@news.povray.org>
Am 21.12.2015 um 09:25 schrieb scott:
>> Three fellow students -- one originally from Munich, one originally from
>> Cologne, and one originally from Dortmund -- visit a bar. The guy from
>> Munich orders a "Weizen" (the stuff the Bavarians down from 0.5 to 1.0
>> liter tankards),
>
> Weizen comes in the tall 0.5L glasses, the tankards are for a Helles. I
> don't think I ever saw anyone drinking a 1.0L weizen.

See? Even Germans have no idea what the Fucking Hell (*) the Bavarians
drink ;)

(* no, that's neither a swear word nor English language, that's a German
beer brand, named after an Austrian village - see
http://www.fucking-hell.de/en/category/spirit/)

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 26 Dec 2015 16:31:25
Message: <567f072d@news.povray.org>
Le 2015-12-21 04:52, clipka a écrit :
> Am 21.12.2015 um 09:25 schrieb scott:
>>> Three fellow students -- one originally from Munich, one originally from
>>> Cologne, and one originally from Dortmund -- visit a bar. The guy from
>>> Munich orders a "Weizen" (the stuff the Bavarians down from 0.5 to 1.0
>>> liter tankards),
>>
>> Weizen comes in the tall 0.5L glasses, the tankards are for a Helles. I
>> don't think I ever saw anyone drinking a 1.0L weizen.
>
> See? Even Germans have no idea what the Fucking Hell (*) the Bavarians
> drink ;)
>
> (* no, that's neither a swear word nor English language, that's a German
> beer brand, named after an Austrian village - see
> http://www.fucking-hell.de/en/category/spirit/)

Isn't Hell a town in Norway (which does freeze over every year)?

From: Stephen
Date: 26 Dec 2015 17:34:02
Message: <567f15da$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/26/2015 9:31 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>>> Weizen comes in the tall 0.5L glasses, the tankards are for a Helles. I
>>> don't think I ever saw anyone drinking a 1.0L weizen.
>>
>> See? Even Germans have no idea what the Fucking Hell (*) the Bavarians
>> drink ;)
>>
>> (* no, that's neither a swear word nor English language, that's a German
>> beer brand, named after an Austrian village - see
>> http://www.fucking-hell.de/en/category/spirit/)
>>

> Isn't Hell a town in Norway (which does freeze over every year)?

Indeed there is. I liked the Sabre Dance on the album "To Hell with the
Boys".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Hell_with_the_Boys

Named after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway

--