POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fallout 3 Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:48:46 EDT (-0400)
  Fallout 3 (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Fallout 3
Date: 13 Dec 2015 07:31:18
Message: <566d6516$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/12/2015 04:51 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> Skip Fallout 3 and play Fallout: New Vegas instead. Much better.

Well, maybe you're right. But given that I've already paid...

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 13 Dec 2015 07:31:29
Message: <566d6521$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/12/2015 10:36 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:44:28 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>
>> Does anybody here know anything about the game?
>
> I played it, quite enjoyed playing it - but it's been years since I
> played it. :)

Thanks for the tip. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 13 Dec 2015 07:35:12
Message: <566d6600@news.povray.org>
On 11/12/2015 09:33 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Apparently when you target using V.A.T.S., it actually gives you a
> damage amount and *hit probability* for each potential target. Somehow I
> missed that information. So you can auto-target something, but there's
> no guarantee at all that you will actually *hit* anything. Which makes
> me wonder why you'd even bother? It seems like a complete waste of
> time... Shooting normally also results in most shots missing, due to the
> extreme bullet spread.

Apparently you can also queue up more than one shot. I didn't realise that.

Of course, it has the same problem that Transistor does, in that it
tells you the hit probabilities *assuming nothing changes*. Then when
stuff changes (e.g., the target ducks), you hit air. Thanks for that. :-P

Still, I discovered that if you cheerfully ignore the current quest and
just wonder around at random, there are places you can go where you can
kill raiders and steal their stuff, then laboriously trek home to sell
it all. At one point, I managed to accumulate almost 500 caps. And then
I repaired the sniper rifle... which added about 3 damage, but used up
my entire income. So now I'm broke again. *sigh*

Also, the guy in charge of the water system wants me to find "scrap
metal" for him. But I'm not sure exactly what that means... I would have
thought it just means items made of metal. But apparently not.

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 12:31:30 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 11/12/2015 10:36 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:44:28 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody here know anything about the game?
>>
>> I played it, quite enjoyed playing it - but it's been years since I
>> played it. :)
>
> Thanks for the tip. ;-)

You're welcome. :)

Jim

On 12/13/2015 7:35 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 11/12/2015 09:33 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> Apparently when you target using V.A.T.S., it actually gives you a
>> damage amount and *hit probability* for each potential target. Somehow I
>> missed that information. So you can auto-target something, but there's
>> no guarantee at all that you will actually *hit* anything. Which makes
>> me wonder why you'd even bother? It seems like a complete waste of
>> time... Shooting normally also results in most shots missing, due to the
>> extreme bullet spread.
>
> Apparently you can also queue up more than one shot. I didn't realise that.
>
> Of course, it has the same problem that Transistor does, in that it
> tells you the hit probabilities *assuming nothing changes*. Then when
> stuff changes (e.g., the target ducks), you hit air. Thanks for that. :-P
>
> Still, I discovered that if you cheerfully ignore the current quest and
> just wonder around at random, there are places you can go where you can
> kill raiders and steal their stuff, then laboriously trek home to sell
> it all. At one point, I managed to accumulate almost 500 caps. And then
> I repaired the sniper rifle... which added about 3 damage, but used up
> my entire income. So now I'm broke again. *sigh*
>
> Also, the guy in charge of the water system wants me to find "scrap
> metal" for him. But I'm not sure exactly what that means... I would have
> thought it just means items made of metal. But apparently not.

I think you have to turn items you collect into scrap metal using the
crafting system. I don't recall exactly.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 14/12/2015 03:16 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 12/13/2015 7:35 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> Also, the guy in charge of the water system wants me to find "scrap
>> metal" for him. But I'm not sure exactly what that means... I would have
>> thought it just means items made of metal. But apparently not.
>
> I think you have to turn items you collect into scrap metal using the
> crafting system. I don't recall exactly.

I've since discovered that in a handful of locations you can find an
item literally described as "scrap metal". Which apparently trades for
about 10 caps. So...

Post a reply to this message