POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rubik's puzzle Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:46:46 EDT (-0400)
  Rubik's puzzle (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: scott
Subject: Rubik's puzzle
Date: 17 Sep 2015 05:08:24
Message: <55fa8308$1@news.povray.org>
Take a standard Rubik's cube and rotate one face 90 degrees. Then rotate
an adjacent face 90 degrees in the same direction. How many times do you
have to repeat those two moves (repeatedly on the same two faces) before
the cube gets back to the same state it started in?

Post a reply to this message

> Take a standard Rubik's cube and rotate one face 90 degrees. Then rotate
> an adjacent face 90 degrees in the same direction. How many times do you
> have to repeat those two moves (repeatedly on the same two faces) before
> the cube gets back to the same state it started in?

There is a Rubik's cube in the IRTC (as source). It can be
programmed/shuffled with a string of text... so goes on topic and render
a few frames with the string generated according to the frame number.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 17 Sep 2015 11:53:05
Message: <55fae1e1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Take a standard Rubik's cube and rotate one face 90 degrees. Then rotate
>> an adjacent face 90 degrees in the same direction. How many times do you
>> have to repeat those two moves (repeatedly on the same two faces) before
>> the cube gets back to the same state it started in?
>>
> There is a Rubik's cube in the IRTC (as source). It can be
> programmed/shuffled with a string of text... so goes on topic and render
> a few frames with the string generated according to the frame number.

Interesting ... I needn't have written the SDL code to draw my own one
then :-) Still I'm interested in why the answer is so high for an
apparently simple system, but I'm having a hard time trying to visualise
in simpler terms what is going on.

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 17 Sep 2015 13:17:21
Message: <55faf5a1$1@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 18 Sep 2015 11:38:36
Message: <55fc2ffc$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.09.2015 um 19:17 schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> Then there is the problem: a path of 19 moves, but which ones, and in
> which order.
> A totally different issue.
>
> I always solved my Rubik's with internet / programs.

My favorite algorithm was based on a brute force approach, which
actually turned out to be fairly efficient when implemented with some
reasonable assembler skills...