POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Square Root? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Square Root? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Leroy
Subject: Square Root?
Date: 10 Aug 2015 13:32:04
Message: <55c8e014@news.povray.org>
Here's a question. How do you calculate the square root of a number with
pencil and paper only?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Square Root?
Date: 10 Aug 2015 13:46:16
Message: <55c8e368$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/10/2015 7:35 PM, Leroy wrote:
> Here's a question. How do you calculate the square root of a number with
> pencil and paper only?

This is the way I was taught at school.

http://mathlesstraveled.com/2009/06/11/square-roots-with-pencil-and-paper-method-2/

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Date: 10 Aug 2015 16:55:32
Message: <55c90fc4$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On 8/10/2015 7:35 PM, Leroy wrote:
>> Here's a question. How do you calculate the square root of a number with
>> pencil and paper only?
>
> This is the way I was taught at school.
>
> http://mathlesstraveled.com/2009/06/11/square-roots-with-pencil-and-paper-method-2/

Yea! I was taught the same method, now that I saw it. I just never use
it so I lost IT.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 10 Aug 2015 17:12:29
Message: <55c913bd$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/10/2015 10:58 PM, Leroy wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> On 8/10/2015 7:35 PM, Leroy wrote:
>>> Here's a question. How do you calculate the square root of a number with
>>> pencil and paper only?
>>
>> This is the way I was taught at school.
>>
>> http://mathlesstraveled.com/2009/06/11/square-roots-with-pencil-and-paper-method-2/
>>

> Yea! I was taught the same method, now that I saw it. I just never use
> it so I lost IT.

Maybe I should have said. Ye Olde School ;-)
Lordy, it was a long time ago.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Date: 10 Aug 2015 18:45:28
Message: <55c92988$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On 8/10/2015 10:58 PM, Leroy wrote:
>> Stephen wrote:
>>>
>>> This is the way I was taught at school.

http://mathlesstraveled.com/2009/06/11/square-roots-with-pencil-and-paper-method-2/

>> Yea! I was taught the same method, now that I saw it. I just never use
>> it so I lost IT.
>
> Maybe I should have said. Ye Olde School ;-)
> Lordy, it was a long time ago.

My school so old that they tore it down! If fact most all the schools I
attended in Missouri are tore down. They blamed it on the tornado, But
we know better :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 11 Aug 2015 02:13:45
Message: <55c99299$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/11/2015 12:48 AM, Leroy wrote:
> Stephen wrote:

http://mathlesstraveled.com/2009/06/11/square-roots-with-pencil-and-paper-method-2/

>>> Yea! I was taught the same method, now that I saw it. I just never use
>>> it so I lost IT.
>>
>> Maybe I should have said. Ye Olde School ;-)
>> Lordy, it was a long time ago.
>>
> My school so old that they tore it down! If fact most all the schools I
> attended in Missouri are tore down. They blamed it on the tornado, But
> we know better :)

<Sings> We don't need no education ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 11 Aug 2015 02:46:30
Message: <55c99a46$1@news.povray.org>
> Here's a question. How do you calculate the square root of a number with
> pencil and paper only?

If you asked me to do it I'd probably use some sort of guessing method
for each digit then move onto the next. Surprisingly you can normally
get to within one or two digits just by looking at the previous answers.
You better be good at multiplication by hand though :-)

eg Find sqrt(70)
(guess 8)
8^2=64
9^2=81