POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1+2+3+4+... = ? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  1+2+3+4+... = ? (Message 27 to 36 of 36)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Re: 1+2+3+4+... =3D ?
Date: 2 Aug 2015 02:00:06
Message: <web.55bdb154b4e2fd522aaea5cb0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > There's no grouping like you did in the original proof. Which part of
> > the original proof assumes the length of the summation is anything other
> > than infinite?
>
> This part of the proof is grouping elements in pairs and summing them up:
>
>   (s-4s) = 1+2+3+4+5+ 6+...
>              -4  -8  -12-...
>   -3s    = 1-2+3-4+5-6+...
>
> > Welcome back BTW :-)
>
> I had some problems with the dreaded "can't get fully qualified domain
> name" error (which was incidentally solved by ticking one checkbox in
> an obscure system setting. But damned it was hard to figure that out.)
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

As my knowledge of mathematics only goes up to differential equations (and is
more than somewhat spotty around the edges) I have no idea what zeta functions
are, so I had to actually do some research on why this astoundingly bad
wikipedia article is also astoundingly wrong.  Or as they say on TV Tropes
(Warning: Timesink) Not Even Wrong.

https://plus.maths.org/content/infinity-or-just-112

Firstly, the article title is confusing as hell.  Secondly, it opens by stating
that the sum of the natural numbers is equal to a value lower than the smallest
term in that sequence.  It then purports to offer proof of this concept which is
akin to taking a true statement and tacking on another true statement which
leads to a logical result that is mathematically correct, given the whole, but
which has nothing at all to do with the original premise of the foundational
statement.

So it turns out that the result is mathematically valid, and relates to the
Casimir Effect.  The problem I have with it is the astounding level of
intellectual irresponsibility in conflating the sum of Natural Numbers with a
result that clearly requires advanced analytical mathematics that few of the
people reading it will know about.  Was this done intentionally in order to make
people research the topic? If so, then it's still quite unethical, since not
everybody will research it properly, and those with only a vague understanding
of the first principles will be confused by it.  It's bad enough that the
youtube video presented it the way it did, but the fact that it's now on
wikipedia where the first line of the article can be taken as fact without
considering the rest of the article, and the underlying math and physics
principles, is inexcusable.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message