POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life saving criteria Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:53:50 EDT (-0400)
  Life saving criteria (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Life saving criteria
Date: 12 May 2015 07:11:32
Message: <5551dfe4@news.povray.org>
On 12-5-2015 11:44, Stephen wrote:
> On 12/05/2015 09:50, scott wrote:
>>> Just read your reply to Le_Forgeron.
>>> 1. then 2.
>>> Not forgetting yourself.
>>
>> None of them can save themselves (climbing out is not possible), they
>> have to be winched out one at a time. Luckily you're the one tasked to
>> rescue them, not one of the ones trapped.
>>

> Any other criteria that you have forgotten to mention? :-P

Indeed! For instance: is the water rising rapidly or not? How much time
is there to save (most of) them?

> In that case it will be the person in the cave, mine who is elected (by
> the people there) who would decide the order of who goes out.
> To be honest this exercise is so contrived that it is very unrealistic.

The choice is left to the persons in the cave/mine, definitively. If
speed is an issue,/and/ speed of action also depends on the people
trapped, I guess the fastest/fittest people first to get most people
saved. That's a tough one to decide. If only speed matters and the
victims are helpless without the outside, it doesn't matter much who
gets out first. The most altruistic will probably die (as is shown in RL
examples).

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message